XAML without cider? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have a two questions! :)

I read that cider will be part of next VS 2007 but does that mean that there will be no Cider RTM Pack for VS 2005 when Vista and Net.3.0 RTM start shipping?

Does that mean that we wont have the possibility to code inside a stable VS 2005 environment when Vista and Net.3.0 RTM ships?

Monday, September 18, 2006 10:05 PM

Answers

• Errors can be generated by 2 sources -

1. compile errors from msbuild (which calls the xaml markup compiler).
    2. errors from the "Cider" designer.

Warnings about xaml are generally created by the XML Editor based on our helpful, but not 100% precise XSD.

As cider evolves, it should fix the errors from #2 and it will replace the XML Editor with the false warnings with a better mechanism.

In future versions, we will continue to improve the xaml markup compiler...

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Rob Relyea
    Program Manager, WPF Team
    http://rrelyea.spaces.live.com

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:07 AM

All replies

• No answers?

Is there really no way to create a xaml/c# VS project, write xaml/c# code with code completion and highlighting, debug and compile xbap/exe application inside VS 2005 without installing orcas?
    That would be nice, because I don't really need all those design extras but I want a stable coding environment so I can start coding without caring about hardcore environment/IDE errors.
    And Orcas CTP is simply not production ready and makes me get headache while trying to develop!

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:59 PM
  • Your best bet would be to install the latest Orcas CTP and set the default editor for XAML files to "XML Editor".

To do that, right click on a XAML file in Solution Explorer, choose "Open with...", select "XML Editor" and click the "Set as Default" button.  That should give you pretty much everything you're looking for.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:45 PM
  • But then i still need to fight with parse,wrong debugger and schema errors or not?

I mean when i press F5 to debug, is orcas included in that routine?
    Does the errors showed at bottom in the debuger depends of the unfinished orcas CTP???

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:22 PM
  • Errors can be generated by 2 sources -

1. compile errors from msbuild (which calls the xaml markup compiler).
    2. errors from the "Cider" designer.

Warnings about xaml are generally created by the XML Editor based on our helpful, but not 100% precise XSD.

As cider evolves, it should fix the errors from #2 and it will replace the XML Editor with the false warnings with a better mechanism.

In future versions, we will continue to improve the xaml markup compiler...

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Rob Relyea
    Program Manager, WPF Team
    http://rrelyea.spaces.live.com

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:07 AM