none
Driver submission to "new" portal hung for 2 weeks, still waiting. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get an "atteststation" cert for a KMDF driver.  I have followed all the instructions, packaged the driver correctly with my EV cert on it and submitted it to the "new" portal that handles adding this for Windows 10 post 1607 installations.  Everything went "in" fine and the status of the driver submission changed to "preparation" an has been hung there for 2 weeks.

I contacted someone at Microsoft (I think sysdev) via chat and they said I may have to wait up to 2 week.  Well, I've waited 2 weeks and no one is contacting me with the status of the driver signing submission. 

Who do I contact regarding this?  Is there something wrong??

John Svinick,

Developer for Xitron, LLC

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:53 PM

Answers

• Well, after finally getting a hold of someone at Microsoft who could check on the status of my driver attestations, we determined the source of the problem.  Even though my driver package had completed "Package Acceptance" and moved the "Preparation" phase with the following text:

"We are generating the distribution options for your submission. After this is complete, you can create shipping labels below. You can enter your certification properties now and submit them as soon as the distribution options are complete."

It had in fact, bombed out and was never going anywhere (I waited 2 weeks for nothing).  Oh well.

Clearly the problem was not flagged correctly in the automated attestation system and I was being asked to wait incorrectly but enough on that, let's try to be helpful here.  Since then I have completed my attestation and offer these 2 tid bits:

1. The turn around time on these attestation submissions is pretty fast.   I never waited more than an hour. Responses were clear and helpful on what was wrong and how to correct it.

2. The following post was VERY helpful.  To bad it was only available to me later in the process:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/dashboard/attestation-signing-a-kernel-driver-for-public-release

So what really was wrong?  The .CAB I submitted was flawed.  On my end I was able to view the contents of the .CAB and extract the files.  Once I took a closer look, one of the files extracted had been modified slightly which I noticed when checking the digital signatures on the files.  It had the end chopped off.  I made an error in the .DDF file instructions to makeCab.exe and it was limiting the size of the output .CAB to 1.44M (size of a 3.5" floppy).  There were no errors generated by makeCab and it simply chopped of the end of my WDFCoInstaller01011.dll.

The above link has detailed instructions on the .CAB creation.  Too bad I didn't have it earlier.

John Svinicki

• Marked as answer by Mistermark Friday, March 3, 2017 8:46 PM
    • Edited by Mistermark Friday, March 3, 2017 8:54 PM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hey John,

Yikes. It should *not* take two weeks for an attestation submission. In fact, it's generally less than 90 minutes.

It seems like you may have ended up in the App Submission support channel. Can you fill out the Hardware support form here: 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/dashboard/account/help?returnUri=https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/dashboard/hardware

They'll get the debugging info we need from you to get you unblocked. In the mean-time, you could also try creating your submission again - any errors should be reported back to you, it shouldn't appear "stuck" in preparation. 

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:50 PM
  • Well, after finally getting a hold of someone at Microsoft who could check on the status of my driver attestations, we determined the source of the problem.  Even though my driver package had completed "Package Acceptance" and moved the "Preparation" phase with the following text:

"We are generating the distribution options for your submission. After this is complete, you can create shipping labels below. You can enter your certification properties now and submit them as soon as the distribution options are complete."

It had in fact, bombed out and was never going anywhere (I waited 2 weeks for nothing).  Oh well.

Clearly the problem was not flagged correctly in the automated attestation system and I was being asked to wait incorrectly but enough on that, let's try to be helpful here.  Since then I have completed my attestation and offer these 2 tid bits:

1. The turn around time on these attestation submissions is pretty fast.   I never waited more than an hour. Responses were clear and helpful on what was wrong and how to correct it.

2. The following post was VERY helpful.  To bad it was only available to me later in the process:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/dashboard/attestation-signing-a-kernel-driver-for-public-release

So what really was wrong?  The .CAB I submitted was flawed.  On my end I was able to view the contents of the .CAB and extract the files.  Once I took a closer look, one of the files extracted had been modified slightly which I noticed when checking the digital signatures on the files.  It had the end chopped off.  I made an error in the .DDF file instructions to makeCab.exe and it was limiting the size of the output .CAB to 1.44M (size of a 3.5" floppy).  There were no errors generated by makeCab and it simply chopped of the end of my WDFCoInstaller01011.dll.

The above link has detailed instructions on the .CAB creation.  Too bad I didn't have it earlier.

John Svinicki

• Marked as answer by Mistermark Friday, March 3, 2017 8:46 PM
    • Edited by Mistermark Friday, March 3, 2017 8:54 PM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 8:35 PM