Adding a Video Player RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My site has a video demo page currently with a choice of 44 clips for viewing.

http://www.ballmediainnovations.com/BMI-Video-Production-Demos.htm

As it is now, the visitor clicks on a link to the clip they wish to see, and a windows media file pops up.

This is slow, and sometimes it takes time for the windows media player to appear, and this can discourage visitors.

Of course it would be much nicer if a visitor could see a video player on the page. With so many demo clips it would be good if they could see different categories, each showing thumbnails that you'd click on to have the video play right in the video player on the page.  

I tried to find a way to do this, but anything I found was beyond my skills. I don't mind learning but it seemed I would have to master a new language for the sake of one page, so I tried to find someone on guru.com to create the video demo page for us, but couldn't find anyone who could do it.

So far the only way I've found to get a video player on the page is to use Youtube - one video player skin per video clip. This isn't ideal.

So is there some way I'm missing to do this simply enough so that I could do it?

Or is there someone or a business you could recommend who could revise this page for us?

Thanks!

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:58 PM

All replies

• What you need is a server that will stream video instead of having to download the entire video file.

Expression Web MVP
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:12 PM
  • If  you are OK with using Silverlight (not everyone has it installed, but they'll be prompted to do so if not), you can use one of the the multi-video Silverlight players.  EW will encode and play WMV files in it.  You have to be comfortable cutting and pasting in Code View to add the multiple videos to the player.  There's a thread here: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/df360ce7-c189-4ec7-b961-9dd75d3cd973

You start with "Insert -> Media -> Silverlight Video", and after you select your first wmv file, you'll be presented with a choice of player styles.  Pick one that has more than one video, that is, that has Gallery in the name.  Then read the thread above for instructions on adding additional videos to the player.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Hi Kathy,

My "insert" doesn't have the "Media" option.

I think I'm working with an older version of Expression Web. Could that be the reason why?

It's version: EXPRESSION WEB (12.0.6211.1000) SP 1 MSO (12.0.6562.5003)

I would buy the newer version if I could get a video player on the site.

Also, does silverlight work on any server? Or should I check with my hosting service to see if it supports it? the site is hosted with Hostway.com by the way.

Thanks!

Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:23 PM
  • You're using an older version.  The current version is EW4, SP2.

Silverlight is something you install a web browser plug-in to see.  (Similer to Flash in that way.) The files for your player can reside on any type server.  If your host isn't already assuming some of the sites may be using Silverlight, you may have to add some mime types:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tims/archive/2008/03/18/configuring-a-web-server-to-host-silverlight-content.aspx 

Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:39 PM
  • So do most people have the ability to view videos on silverlight? How about on mobile devices like ipads and iphones?

I've never knowingly downloaded silverlight. Am I understanding you correctly?

Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:21 PM
  • Steve Jobs crippled IPads.  They can't see Flash or Silverlight.  I doubt they can see Windows Media Player either.

Google if you want to find out statistics on Silverlight - you can do that as easily as I can. :)  I also can't tell you if youve downloaded the silverlight browser add-in.  Go here: http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/ff723799  If you can play it, you have Silverlight.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:50 PM