Workflow designer causes VS 2010 RTM to freeze when editing build process template. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Studio 1747 laptop with Intel i7 1.6GHz, 6GB RAM, Windows 7 Professional x64. I recently "updated" VS 2010 RC to RTM (removed all of RC and installed RTM). So far so good. Also, I have TFS 2010 RTM on the machine working perfectly, and have two team projects in there.

Now, on a given solution, I copied DefaultTemplate.xaml to NewDefaultProcessTemplate.xaml and checked it in. I check it out and open it, and the workflow designer shows up. Then, I "Expand All" and go down to the "Compile, Test, and Associate Changesets and Work Items" section. If I click a subsection to collapse it, the mouse cursor changes to an hourglass and stays like that indefinitely. Sometimes, after a couple of minutes, the action is performed; then, it happens again up to a point where VS completely freezes.

I have cleared VS 2010 cache, and have performed a repair on VS 2010 and TFS 2010 (just in case) to no avail. I have even disconnected from TFS right after openning the file, and still the same issue.

This is f****** extremely frustrating. I can't do anything on the workflow designer.

HELP !!!!!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:27 PM

Answers

• KB2468871 seems to have fixed the problem for me.
    David Torgerson | Manager, Software Applications | dtorg@luminexcorp.com | www.luminexcorp.com
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Indeed the patch fixed the problem per this post.  It is something else in my project that is hosing up performance.

* Update.  Graphics card - or lack thereof in all but 1 of the machines I have been testing this in.  If anybody ever has any issues with performance in a rehosted make sure they have applied the patch and have a decent video card.  Found one that has 4.9 and it cut down the time to load.

** Update #2 (sorry for so many updates, but if helps the next guy it is worth it) - The video card helped, but the real silver bullet was either google desktop and windows search service.  I modified the index and unistalled, and the the rehosted designer flies now.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:19 PM

All replies

• cvillalta, could you offer some repro steps such as the content of your xaml you want to checkin/out/open?

so I can help investigate the problem?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 12:36 AM
  • I create a team project and add a solution to it; then I check everything in. After that, on Team Explorer, I create a build definition; on the Process section I create a new process template by copying DefaultTemplate.xaml and assign this new template to the build definition I create.

After doing this, I go to the BuildProcessTemplate folder of the solution, check out the new process template I created, and double click it; this opens the .xaml file in Workflow Design mode. Then I "Expand All" and scroll down to the "Compile, Test, and Associate Changesets and Work Items" section, collapse the "Initialize Variables" subsection and VS just sits there, it stops responding (Taskbar Manager shows devenv.exe utilizing 13% of CPU).

Sometimes I am able to collapse two or three subsections, and then VS stops responding. Sometimes it happens with the first subsection I try to collapse.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:04 AM
  • thanks for your repro steps.

I'm having a try.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:27 PM
  • I can't repro your problem by expanding/colaapsing defaulttemplate.xaml

the only thing you can try is to add following regkey, it will disable all the validation of the designer

ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.0.0\System.Activities.Presentation /v DisableValidateOnModelItemChanged /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001 /f

if this still can't help you, it would be recommended to post this quesion to TeamFoundationServer forum.

Friday, April 30, 2010 6:43 PM
  • No, that didn't work. If I expand and collapse boxes it's ok now; but if I double click a box the designer zooms into that box and it takes forever to load what's inside.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:14 AM
  • if the REG KEY can't help solve this problem, it would be recommended to post this quesion to TeamFoundationServer forum.
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Hi cvillalta,

What about resizing your workflow designer window, e.g make it a little bit wider/higher? WF will hang on some special screen resolution and platform.

Let me know if it works for you

Thanks,

Yuanji Wang

This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights or warranties.
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:16 AM
  • WF will hang on some special screen resolutions and platforms? Which ones are those?

I have Windows 7 on my laptop, which has a native resolution of 1600x900. I have a second monitor connected to it, 1920x1200. WF hangs on both displays.

Thanks.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Hi cvillalta, 

Let's narrow down the problem first. 

Could you try to create a workflow console application, drag some activity to the designer surface, try to expand/collapse these activity. If these operations don't hang VS, it might be a TFS template specific issue. I'll contact tfs team to see if they know this issue.

Thanks,

Yuanji Wang

This posting is provided "AS IS" and confers no rights or warranties.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:08 PM
  • So what happened to the special resolutions case? You just made that up?

I created a workflow console application, dragged some activity boxes, collapsed and expanded boxes, and no issues. I would have to create a big one, like the DefaultTemplate.xaml to see if the issue appears or not.

Thanks.

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:54 PM
  • I have the exact same issue. Editing the DefaultTemplate.xaml completely deadlocks Visual Studio - initially I can see a few things draw, but it completely freezes shortly after and requires me to terminate the process in Task Manager.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Nevermind, I formatted the computer, reinstalled Windows 7, and then all of my programs. Looks like WF is working now.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I too have the same problem.  Would prefer not to have to reformat my computer to fix. :)  This problem is not specific to the DefaultTemplate.xaml from TFS. This happens to me on numerous (large) workflows that I attempt to open in VS2010.  Any ideas to fix?  It just goes "Not Responding" when trying to scroll.  Workflow becomes unusable.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Recursive workflows can hang the IDE... but I think that it happens upon load, not upon scroll, so I guess it does not apply to most people here?

Very large workflows can have very slow-running validation, and maybe it's possible that would run in response to changing views, and slow down the IDE? How big are the workflows we are talking about here?

Has anyone noticed whether it happens only for flowchart workflows, or also nonflowchart workflows?

Custom designers with perormance issues can also hang the IDE.

Tim

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:16 PM
  • P.S., if anyone with this problem wants to break out the debugger, attach to VS, and post stack traces that might help.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:17 PM
  • @tilovell - It's not a recursive workflow. It's not very large either (nothing close to the size of the TFS Default Template workflow) - maybe between 30-40 activities total.  It's a simple sequential workflow - not flow chart.  No custom designers.

The problem is also somewhat intermittent - doesn't happen *every* time, but a lot. Next time it happens, what debugger would provide you with the best information to help troubleshoot?  Debugger from Visual Studio? windbg?  Let me know how to best capture the stack traces for you and I'll be happy to provide. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:06 PM
  • OK here it is, Tim's ad-hoc guide to using VS to capture stack trace info for VS hangs:

1) Launch new VS instance with same or higher credentials as process you will attach to
    2) Attach to Process, select hung instance of VS. Attach for debugging managed code, or maybe mixed managed and native (hopefully we do not need to debug in the native code but you never know...).
    3) Click 'pause' icon to force break, wait for process to break, VS enters Debugging mode
    4) Open the Debug->Threads window
    5) Look for the 'main' thread of VS, it should be at top of the threads list. This is probably the GUI thread, and therefore the one which is not responding
    6) Switch to that thread by double-clicking
    7) Show the call stack window
    8) Check out what dlls are on the stack. Is there anything that sounds interesting? (For workflow designer could be dlls with Activities in the name, but not necessarily)
    9) Right-click interesting looking dlls and choose download public symbols from Microsoft, this may take a while, but hopefully you start seeing some function names on the call stack window.

Note 1 - if you are in a deadlock hang, or waiting for asynchronous API which is taking a long time hang, it's possible you will see some kernel wait functions at the top of the stack. In this case it could be a deadlock, the call stack may be hard to get good info of, but have a look further down the stack and see what you can see.
    Note 2 - if you are in an infinite loop hang, it's possible you will need to continue and force break multiple times until you get an idea of which stack frame is the interesting one where the infinite loop is happening
    Note 3 - if you are in a infinite recursion hang, hopefully it's gonna be pretty obvious from the stack
    Note 4 - sometimes hangs are caused by quite unexpected things, like plugins or other processes...

Tim

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Hi.

I had the same problem, so I could do nothing on template because it freezes.

My solution:

1) I edited the template .xaml file on notepad changing all properties "IsExpanded" to false.

2) I opened the template on Visual Studio, so I opened the activities with double click, not Expanded.

My conclusion:

When there are many activities expanded the Visual Studio freezes, but if you open the activities with double click not.

Friday, September 17, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Here you go.  In 2 parts, since it won't let me post the whole callstack at once.

> PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.UIElementHelper.InvalidateAutomationAncestors(System.Windows.DependencyObject o = {System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter}) + 0xb5 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.UIElementHelper.InvalidateAutomationAncestors(System.Windows.DependencyObject o) + 0xcf bytes

PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.UIElementHelper.InvalidateAutomationAncestors(System.Windows.DependencyObject o) + 0xcf bytes

PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.UIElementHelper.InvalidateAutomationAncestors(System.Windows.DependencyObject o) + 0xe9 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.UIElementHelper.InvalidateAutomationAncestors(System.Windows.DependencyObject o) + 0xe9 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.UIElement.Arrange(System.Windows.Rect finalRect) + 0x8fa bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Grid.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0xd8 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ArrangeCore(System.Windows.Rect finalRect) + 0x336 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.UIElement.Arrange(System.Windows.Rect finalRect) + 0x321 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.StackPanel.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x194 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ArrangeCore(System.Windows.Rect finalRect) + 0x336 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.UIElement.Arrange(System.Windows.Rect finalRect) + 0x321 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Grid.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x2c0 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Border.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size finalSize) + 0x15d bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Control.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeBounds) + 0x8c bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Border.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size finalSize) + 0x15d bytes

System.Activities.Presentation.dll!System.Activities.Presentation.View.VirtualizedContainerService.VirtualizingContainer.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeBounds) + 0x56 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.StackPanel.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x194 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!MS.Internal.Helper.ArrangeElementWithSingleChild(System.Windows.UIElement element, System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x75 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.ItemsPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x18 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Control.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeBounds) + 0x8c bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Grid.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x2c0 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!MS.Internal.Helper.ArrangeElementWithSingleChild(System.Windows.UIElement element, System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x75 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x18 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x18 bytes

System.Activities.Presentation.dll!System.Activities.Presentation.View.VirtualizedContainerService.VirtualizingContainer.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeBounds) + 0x56 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Grid.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0xd8 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.ItemsPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x18 bytes

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:07 PM
  • and part 2:

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Viewbox.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x111 bytes

PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.ScrollContentPresenter.ArrangeOverride(System.Windows.Size arrangeSize) + 0x160 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout() + 0x266 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(object arg) + 0x19 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.InvokeOnRenderCallback.DoWork() + 0x10 bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks() + 0x6f bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(object resizedCompositionTarget = null) + 0x8a bytes

PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(object resizedCompositionTarget) + 0x2c bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) + 0x53 bytes

WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(object source = {System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher}, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler = null) + 0x42 bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() + 0x8d bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(object state) + 0x38 bytes

mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(object userData) + 0x51 bytes

[Native to Managed Transition]

[Managed to Native Transition]

mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x6a bytes

mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state, bool ignoreSyncCtx) + 0x7e bytes

mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x2c bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() + 0x68 bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() + 0x15e bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(System.IntPtr hwnd, int msg, System.IntPtr wParam, System.IntPtr lParam, ref bool handled) + 0x63 bytes

WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd = 6097844, int msg = 49932, System.IntPtr wParam = 0, System.IntPtr lParam = 0, ref bool handled = false) + 0xbe bytes

WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(object o) + 0x7d bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate callback, object args, int numArgs) + 0x53 bytes

WindowsBase.dll!MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(object source = {System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher}, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs, System.Delegate catchHandler = null) + 0x42 bytes

WindowsBase.dll!System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority priority, System.TimeSpan timeout, System.Delegate method, object args, int numArgs) + 0xb4 bytes

WindowsBase.dll!MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(System.IntPtr hwnd = 6097844, int msg = 49932, System.IntPtr wParam = 0, System.IntPtr lParam = 0) + 0x104 bytes

[Appdomain Transition]

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Thank you very much for the stack trace, I have entered the information in a bug on the WF designer team. Fixes would most probably only appear in successive versions of .net/VS. The bug may or may not be solvable from above information, any other info people can add may help.

So far it sounds like a common factor for everyone is not so much the huge number of activities in the workflow but very deep visual nesting, with activities contained inside of each other through many layers. Stopping the visual nesting from being deep, by collapsing activities as much as possible, may be the most practical workaround.

If that doesn't sound like your scenario, and even collapsing does not help, please add the information, every bit helps.
    Tim

Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:06 PM
  • I have the same problem in an rehosted enviroment. I guess that many getting this error by scrolling is because of the lazy loading of the activities. For me it occured by zooming out.

The problem is a StackOverflow in the End that is hard to catch when not in a hosted enviroment.

This is a Bug that happens becaus auf the related rearranges of the activities. The most nested child requests a new size (flowchart size manually changed) every parent activity must be changed, if these are now trying to arrange ther childs and so on this gets messy really quickly.

Incresing the stacksize might help if possible. (Rehosted Designer)

This could be fixed with a non recursiv Arrange solution.

regards,
    Flow

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Update the update: Early indications are that VS2010 SP1 beta is not helping with this issue.
    Tim

Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Visual Studio 2010 SP1 almost seems to make it worse. Previously at least I had a *chance* of editing a build process workflow - now they freeze even after the simplest operations (scrolling or collapsing a node).

Has anyone found a solution or talked opened a Microsoft support ticket about this? Any hot fixes lurking out there?

Looking at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsaccessibilityandautomation/thread/6c4465e2-207c-4277-a67f-e0f55eff0110 it seems as though the fix isn't in SP1, unfortunately. The reason this was probably missed is that it only occurs when automation clients are running - in my case, my Wacom tablet installed the Tablet PC features. Looks like I have a work around in the mean time!

Similar stack trace here:
    118 calls to PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.UIElementHelper.InvalidateAutomationAncestors(System.Windows.DependencyObject o)
    PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.UIElement.Measure(System.Windows.Size availableSize)
    PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.SetLayoutSize()
    PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.RootVisualInternal.set(System.Windows.Media.Visual value)
    PresentationCore.dll!System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.RootVisual.set(System.Windows.Media.Visual value)
    PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Popup.SetRootVisualToPopupRoot()PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Popup.CreateWindow(bool asyncCall)
    PresentationFramework.dll!System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Popup.OnIsOpenChanged(System.Windows.DependencyObject d, System.Windows.DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)

What's interesting is that the call is made to "Measure" in my case rather than "Arrange". Whatever the problem is, it looks like some sort of endless loop (or polynomial/exponential recursion complexity) in "InvalidateAutomationAncestors"

Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Update: Uninstalling both the Windows 7 Tablet PC features as well as my Wacom drivers solved the issue.

Repro steps (before uninstall of Tablet/Pen features):
    1) Hover over an "expand/collapse section" icon until the tooltip appears.
    2) Click the expand/collapse icon.

Other notes:
    There was a hotfix related to WPF UI Automation performance in .NET 3.5 SP1, but it looks like there may still be bugs in it (or in Wacom's drivers).
    http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/KB978520/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Home&version=1
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jgoldb/archive/2010/04/12/what-s-new-for-performance-in-wpf-in-net-4.aspx
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jgoldb/archive/2010/02/16/wpf-4-and-visual-studio-2010-ui-automation-performance-on-tablets-touch-enabled-machines.aspx

Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:03 PM
  • Hi everyone,
    Seems like this freeze or hang only happens if you have programs active which are using the Windows Accessibility APIs - for instance screen readers, macro recording or ui automation tools, Tablet PC drivers or Wacom tablet drivers may be another in this category. If you can identify programs on your machine which fall into this category, and close them, this may help restore your VS performance until there is a real fix.
    Tim
    Friday, April 1, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Hi again everyone,
    I have received information from the WPF team that there is a hotfix which helps resolve this performance problem. The KB article is here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484841

Note that this KB is not currently available as a general download, but you must go through support services to obtain the hotfix, relavent quote from the KB:

"To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Support Services telephone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft website:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question."

And my own note: If you are encountering problems similar to the ones described in this thread, I would recommend that before contacting support, please follow the debugging steps described in order to verify that you are actually hitting the same problem which should be addressed by this KB fix, because there are also some OTHER designer performance issues such as expression validation which are NOT addressed by this fix.

Tim

Monday, May 2, 2011 6:07 AM
  • I am having the same problem with the workflow editor and I am running SP1. Everything was working fine then one day the system stopped responding after scrolling in any project. My "fix" was to install VS in a clean VM and do the editing in there. I have seen others with this same problem and so far I have not found a way to fix it. 
    David Torgerson | Manager, Software Applications | dtorg@luminexcorp.com | www.luminexcorp.com
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Coincidentally, today I just came across this announcement, that a GDR (mainstream) support patch KB2468871 has been released which is supposed to address this issue:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckh/archive/2011/08/09/patch-to-improve-perf-and-reliability-of-the-workflow-designer.aspx

Personally I haven't tried it yet. It would be great to hear whether it works.

Tim

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:29 PM
  • KB2468871 does not appear to make a difference, per this thread. Perhaps I was misinterpreting?
    Tim

Friday, August 26, 2011 4:03 PM
  • KB2468871 seems to have fixed the problem for me.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:11 PM
  • OK, 1 vote either way, interesting...!
    Friday, August 26, 2011 8:33 PM
  • KB2468871 fixed it for me
    • Edited by MKhn Friday, September 2, 2011 9:03 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 9:02 AM
  • As noted in the other thread - in my case it helped with Visual Studio, but did not help with my rehosted solution.  Load times after the patch are for a rather simple workflow (~10-15 activities) are: Rehosted = 135 seconds, Visual Studio = 5.5 seconds. 

I haven't heard anything back yet if the patch was targeted for Visual Studio only.  If so, I'm crossing my fingers that it is something they can easily extend to rehosted and ship in the near future.

Friday, September 2, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Hey John,

can i ask how u implemented the rehosting? I might have a solution for you, did u a normal(as shown in various examples) rehosting? Or do you have multiple appdomains in your application?

regards,
    Flow

• Edited by LunicLynx Friday, September 2, 2011 1:36 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 1:35 PM
  • I think I did it as "normal" - I used the code from the "Problem Solver" here as a starting point and built upon it from there.  I am not manually creating any app domains - everything happens in the main one (if that makes sense).

I am all ears... :) :) :)

Friday, September 2, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Ok, in that case i cant guarantee that it will help you.

First let me tell you what my problem was to see if we are on the same page here. I could create as big as Workflows as i wanted without any problem, but on loading these big workflows started to hang up on scrolling. (same stacktrace as mentioned above)

I was never sure and im still not what the exact problem was / is. I use a multi domain enviroment, so there is some stuff involved that is propably not present in your case.

My assumption was that the Designer tries to initialize 2 things at the same time, the visual representation of the workflow and the model underneath. At some point these 2 initialization are crossing each other and a recursion starts, ending in a stack overflow.

What i did was to split these initializations. This is where my case is different from yours i moved the FrameworkElement over the appdomain boundaries prior to showing it. So in your case i would suggest the "same" thing. Place the View in an object first, specifically before you loaded a workflow.

Example Code:

_workflowDesigner = new System.Activities.Presentation.WorkflowDesigner();
    object tempView = _workflowDesigner.View;  
    _workflowDesigner.Text = <your workflow as string>; _workflowDesigner.Load();

This did solve the problem for me. But its possible that this is only nessessary in a multi domain enviroment.

If you want to switch to a multi domain enviroment, please note there is a lot of stuff involved to get it running and i would only suggest that to you if you have some spare time.

Let me know either way.

regards,
    Flow

Friday, September 2, 2011 2:26 PM
  • You could also try to add the empty designer to the VisualTree before loading. This actually happens in my project because of a binding, but its contained in an TabControl, so it could be still invisible. I'm not sure that this really makes a / the difference.

This would be my revised Code:

public class WorkflowDesignerViewModel : INotifyPropertyChanged
        {
            private object _view;

// this property should be bound in xaml
            // to a ContentPresenter for example
            public object View 
            {
                get { return _view; }
                set
                {
                    if (value != _view)
                    {
                        _view = value;
                        OnPropertyChanged(() => View);
                    }
                }
            }

private WorkflowDesigner _workflowDesigner;

public void Load(string workflowAsString)
            {
                _workflowDesigner = new System.Activities.Presentation.WorkflowDesigner();
                View = _workflowDesigner.View;
                object tempView = _workflowDesigner.View;

_workflowDesigner.Text = workflowAsString;
                _workflowDesigner.Load();
            }

protected void OnPropertyChanged<T>(Expression<Func<T>> property)
            {
                MemberExpression me = property.Body as MemberExpression;
                if (me != null)
                {
                    PropertyInfo pi = me.Member as PropertyInfo;
                    if (pi != null)
                        OnPropertyChanged(pi.Name);
                }
            }

protected void OnPropertyChanged(string propertyName)
            {
                if (PropertyChanged != null)
                    PropertyChanged(thisnew PropertyChangedEventArgs(propertyName));
            }

public event PropertyChangedEventHandler PropertyChanged;
        }
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Thank you very much for your code samples - I'll be honest with you, I'm a newbie to WPF and I really don't know what to do with it!  The code I started with discards the workflow designer control each time you load up a new workflow, and adds it to the parent grid in code behind.  It also creates a new property grid and does the same.  I could add this class to my project, new one up and add it to the grid in its place, but binding the view in Xaml is what I don't get.  There is no content presenter in the form I am working with.

:(  Apologies, I'm a data guy struggling to wear a workflow hat.

Edit : I tried this a couple different ways and could not get it to perform faster.  Not saying that I was doing it correctly, or the optimal way, I just couldn't get it to go any faster.  Thank you for the suggestion though!  If anybody who knows WPF and can make this work gets it to work faster, please post back your solution.  

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Friday, September 2, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Indeed the patch fixed the problem per this post.  It is something else in my project that is hosing up performance.

* Update.  Graphics card - or lack thereof in all but 1 of the machines I have been testing this in.  If anybody ever has any issues with performance in a rehosted make sure they have applied the patch and have a decent video card.  Found one that has 4.9 and it cut down the time to load.

** Update #2 (sorry for so many updates, but if helps the next guy it is worth it) - The video card helped, but the real silver bullet was either google desktop and windows search service.  I modified the index and unistalled, and the the rehosted designer flies now.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:19 PM