none
Word 2010 w:fldSimple keeps being replaced with w:instrText when I save document DOCX RRS feed

• Question

• My Word 2010 document's mergefield codes (w:fldSimple) keep getting replaced with w:instrText.

I have one field in particular that will not change no matter what I do. The field name is a 26 character field. If I delete this field and add it again, it changes ALL the mergefields to w:instrText when it is saved. When I do a right click and update field command on each mergefield, they all change to w:fldSimple except for this problem field when it is saved. The problem field stays as w:instrText.

Are there any quirks with mergefields? If so, how do I work around them?

Thanks!

Monday, March 10, 2014 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>My Word 2010 document's mergefield codes (w:fldSimple) keep getting replaced with w:instrText.<<

Was mergefield replaced as below?

According to my investigation, if there are two merge fields in one paragraph, all the simple fields (Ruby Simple Field) would be replaced with complex fields (FieldChar).

Complex field contains w:instrText.

Is this the case?

If so, you could try to insert a paragraph before inserting a merge field. After that, insert the merge field into the new paragraph.

Hope this help.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>My Word 2010 document's mergefield codes (w:fldSimple) keep getting replaced with w:instrText.<<

Was mergefield replaced as below?

According to my investigation, if there are two merge fields in one paragraph, all the simple fields (Ruby Simple Field) would be replaced with complex fields (FieldChar).

Complex field contains w:instrText.

Is this the case?

If so, you could try to insert a paragraph before inserting a merge field. After that, insert the merge field into the new paragraph.

Hope this help.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:37 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner. This could very well be the case. The whole text could be one big paragraph I will look into it and see if this fixes the problem. I will let you know.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:27 PM