Hiding row group columns in matrix report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  I need to create a single report with a dozen different options for groupings.  I have started by creating a parameter with

options for each grouping.  I've created row groups for each option and then set the group property expression and visibility as well as the text box visibility expression to hide when appropriate.  This all works fine as the report displays and aggregates as expected except that the columns don't hide,  they just appear blank.  How can I hide these?  The column visibility property is greyed out for matrix columns and I don't see any way to size the column width by expression.  I am using SSRS 2012.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi billywinterm,

Based on my understanding that you have problem about hide the row groups, after you set both the group property visibility as well as the text box visibility you can hide the values but still leave blank space in the matrix, right?

I have tested on my local environment and can reproduce the issue, as you have mentioned that the "column visibility" selection is grey out for the row group column in the matrix which make us not able to hide the whole column without blank space.

In your scenario, I suggest you to create two matrix, all the details and column group is the same, but display different row groups in different matrix, finally, you have create parameter with options for each group, so you can use  the parameter to conditional show and hide the matrix by adding the expression in the "Tablix properties".

For details information you can reference to similar thread below:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/sqlserver/en-US/625d6cba-f819-4caf-8df5-73ae2c83517c/hide-and-merge-matrix-row-group-dynamically-in-ssrs-2005

If your problem still exists, please try to provide us the matrix structure and data you are currently use and also the expressions, to help us more effective to give an solution.

Any problem, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Vicky Liu

• Edited by Vicky_Liu Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicky_Liu Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:06 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi billywinter

Highlight the column -> Properties -> Visibility and set this per your need.

Ione

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 3:50 PM
  • Hi Ione,  This doesn't seem to work for me.  On a table it works fine but in the matrix it just leaves a blank.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:26 PM
  • Hi billywinter

Highlight the whole column in the row groups and look at the properties to set visibility or share your rdl file or show where exactly you hit the roadblock.

Ione

• Edited by CSharp Enthusiast Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:00 PM insert image
    • Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:55 PM
  • Hi billywinterm,

Based on my understanding that you have problem about hide the row groups, after you set both the group property visibility as well as the text box visibility you can hide the values but still leave blank space in the matrix, right?

I have tested on my local environment and can reproduce the issue, as you have mentioned that the "column visibility" selection is grey out for the row group column in the matrix which make us not able to hide the whole column without blank space.

In your scenario, I suggest you to create two matrix, all the details and column group is the same, but display different row groups in different matrix, finally, you have create parameter with options for each group, so you can use  the parameter to conditional show and hide the matrix by adding the expression in the "Tablix properties".

For details information you can reference to similar thread below:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/sqlserver/en-US/625d6cba-f819-4caf-8df5-73ae2c83517c/hide-and-merge-matrix-row-group-dynamically-in-ssrs-2005

If your problem still exists, please try to provide us the matrix structure and data you are currently use and also the expressions, to help us more effective to give an solution.

Any problem, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Vicky Liu

• Edited by Vicky_Liu Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:55 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Vicky_Liu Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vicky_Liu Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:06 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:55 AM