Can preview time for Windows Developer Preview be extended past March?

Question

• I am a student and briefly loaded this preview onto my Eee Slate Tablet and found it to work remarkably well.  I reverted to Windows 7 however after seeing the terrible end date on the software license agreement.  Being an engineering student I am on my tablet all day and cant afford the mid March preview end date.  Is there a way to have this extended to June first?  Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 2:24 AM

Answers

• By the time the Developer Preview experies, the Windows 8 beta (or "Consumer Preview," as it's rumored to be called) will be available for download, so the expiration date shouldn't be a problem. If this is a tablet that you're using for serious work (and it sounds like it is), you should not use it to run pre-release software, unless you require it for a specific purpose.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 2:30 AM

All replies

• By the time the Developer Preview experies, the Windows 8 beta (or "Consumer Preview," as it's rumored to be called) will be available for download, so the expiration date shouldn't be a problem. If this is a tablet that you're using for serious work (and it sounds like it is), you should not use it to run pre-release software, unless you require it for a specific purpose.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 2:30 AM
  • Thank you for your quick response.  I wasnt sure of the beta release date.  I do use it for serious work however am careful to back everything up.  I am programming in school and found some of the tools useful.  The big improvement I noticed was the responsiveness of the tablet was greatly improved as well as the features of 8 are great for organization and focus.  Being able to shoot through applications is brilliant!
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Being able to shoot through applications is brilliant!
    You're one of the lucky few who can run Windows 8 on a tablet. Windows 8 has poor usability on a desktop PC, based on my own experience with the product.
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:54 PM
  • I am using an Asus EP121.  It runs better on the preview than it does Windows 7.  Touch and penability are greatly improved.  getting used to the option menus was weird but i have since set up Windows 7 to mimic the preview.  with the information above, I think I will reload the preview and back up all my docs daily.  I originally wanted to design a student friendly interface to help me study as I tend to be distracted easily.  By setting up only the important programs I use in the tiles, it would be more difficult for me to become distracted.  The interface would be set up in hopes that Microsoft might take notice and release a bare bones student version of Windows 8 for penable tablets which comes already set up to schedule classes, take notes and do homework.  Included would also be a special help wizard to guide students through the capabilities of the setup and show examples of ways to best use the interface.

With Ebooks, OneNote and Outlook I am able to schedule all my classes, take all my notes, do just about all my homework and carry all my books without picking up a sheet of paper.  Truly a blessing for an engineering student.  All I carry is my tablet, a folder for each class for hand outs and a pad of paper should I need to turn something in here and now.  I would like to see all students using penable tablets so that no paper is needed except for tests.  Even going so far as to have school issued tablets which can be locked down to specific programs and networked to the school so information can be sent instantaneously to the screen and controlled.  This would be used for a test taking environment.  A professor would be able to blank screen everyone's tablets and "hand out" the test with the touch of a screen.  Cheating would almost go to nill and scoring could be instantaneous.  Then software software on the computer could track the assignments and test scores for students so that they always know what their grade is at any given point.

Sorry for the ramble.  Just excited for the possibilities of these machines.  As of right now, this can only be feasibly done with Windows machines as Apple does not have a (digital) penable device which I am aware of.

Anyone know who I might talk to in order to share my ideas?

Thanks!

Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:33 PM