none
Is there a way to script a visio timeline using imported data from ms Project? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a pretty complicated idea (or so I think) that will save our project managers a lot of time. I'm trying to come up with a way to import data from ms project files, using the summary tasks with their corresponding dates, to create a timeline. Now I know that you can already do this in visio by using the existing tool that imports data and creates a timeline. The only problem is that there is a very specific way we have to create our timelines. we use three colors (red, yellow, and green). These colors correspond with certain phases of the project ( I know this would be easy to fix, but there's more). We also place our timeline blocks in a certain arrangement. On top of that we pinpoint other certain key dates in the project plans. There are many more specifics, but I was thinking if there's some way to use a powershell script that will automate part of this for me, and then maybe incorporate a vba macro in the script too, that would be exceptional. This seems pretty complicated, but if this is possible and you guys could point me in the right direction, I could pick up a book and write the script. Another thing I might need to add is that we are running our project plans on a network drive. Not sure if that changes anything.

Cliffs:

1. Is there a way to automate visio that will import ms project files, and incorporate a vba macro? if not see #2

2. Can a powershell script automate the entire process, opposed to using a script and a vba macro?

Regards,

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:04 PM

All replies

• Most things are doable if you spend the time to learn the technology.

I do not expect that you will find an answer here or in a scripting forum.   Try posting in the Visio Developer forums.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:46 PM
  • Hi Program_Scheduler,

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers, and it will take some time. Your patience will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Jeffrey

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:59 PM
  • the visio workbreakdownstructure (wbs) addin is designed to work between visio and project (the ms version requires that the two products be at the same release and pro versions).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26229

Short answer it can be done but requires significant expertise in writing custom code for both products.

al

Al Edlund Visio MVP

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Al,

I see the download for 2010. I can't seem to find one for 2013 ( I have visio 2013 and project 2013). Our whole team just upgraded to 2013. Will the 2010 WBS work for 2013 applications as well?

Regards,

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:33 PM