none
Windows Azure Active Directory Sync Setup

Question

• Hi,

Currently trying to install Windows Azure Active Directory Sync tool for use with Office 365.

After five attempts to install the Sync Tool, I finally had some luck, now I am configuring the Sync tool and have been given the following error "A constraint violation occurred"

In looking at the event logs this is the information I get:

System.Management.Automation.CmdletInvocationException: A constraint violation occurred. ---> System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException: A constraint violation occurred. at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.CommitChanges() at Microsoft.Online.DirSync.Common.DirectoryServicesAdapter.DirectoryEntry.CommitChanges() at Microsoft.Online.Coexistence.PS.Config.EnableMSOnlineRichCoexistence.GrantWritePropertyPermission(SecurityIdentifier securityIdentifier, String groupDn) at Microsoft.Online.Coexistence.PS.Config.MSOnlineRichCoexistenceBase.GrantPermission(Action`2 grantPermissionAction) at Microsoft.Online.Coexistence.PS.Config.EnableMSOnlineRichCoexistence.InternalBeginProcessing() at Microsoft.Online.Coexistence.PS.Config.MSOnlineConfigCmdlet.BeginProcessing() at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoBeginProcessing() at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessorBase.DoBegin() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input) at Microsoft.Online.DirSync.PowerShellAdapter.PowerShellCommand.ExecuteCommand(Command command, Boolean refreshPath)

Suggestions?

Thanks

Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems that you have installed Azure Active Directory Sync tool successfully, right? What configuration have you done when you got that error message?

Firstly, I recommend you to check the event logs for more detailed information about this issue.

In general, it is recommended to install the Directory Sync tool on a member server rather than a Domain Controller. If you installed Azure Active Directory Sync Tool on a Domain Controller, please uncheck “Start Configuration Wizard now” checkbox and then log off and log in again to configure the Azure Active Directory Sync Tool Configuration Wizard. If you forget to follow the above process, the Configuration Wizard will return an error "Constraint Violation Error".

Besides, please also check the permission of the system account. You can add it into the built-in Administrators group in your on-premise domain to see if the issue persists.

More information:

HowTo: Install the Windows Azure Active Directory Sync Tool

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, it seems that you have installed Azure Active Directory Sync tool successfully, right? What configuration have you done when you got that error message?

Firstly, I recommend you to check the event logs for more detailed information about this issue.

In general, it is recommended to install the Directory Sync tool on a member server rather than a Domain Controller. If you installed Azure Active Directory Sync Tool on a Domain Controller, please uncheck “Start Configuration Wizard now” checkbox and then log off and log in again to configure the Azure Active Directory Sync Tool Configuration Wizard. If you forget to follow the above process, the Configuration Wizard will return an error "Constraint Violation Error".

Besides, please also check the permission of the system account. You can add it into the built-in Administrators group in your on-premise domain to see if the issue persists.

More information:

HowTo: Install the Windows Azure Active Directory Sync Tool

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, July 14, 2014 9:35 AM
  • THANK YOU!! I had to simply log off and log back in
    Monday, November 24, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Thanks! This really helped me.

Kris

Regards, Kris

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:00 AM
  • Hi All,

I faced "A constraint violation occurred" in dirsync wizard..

Solution is : Use Account of Active Directory which should have enterprise admin of forest as well as domain built-in administrator rights.

Kirpal Singh

Saturday, July 25, 2015 2:21 PM