none
Desktop files are vanished after reboot RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

All my data in the desktop is lost when i restart or shutdown the Windows CE6 h/w. do i need to add any catalog items for this?

--Janu.

Monday, April 30, 2012 5:40 PM

All replies

• You need to increase your understanding of your hardware and operating system a bit.

Windows CE creates a shadowy \Windows folder by default. Most of the items in this folder are EXEs and DLLs that are actually components of your NK file (the ROM file). Since these files are in ROM (they're not really even files, but they look like files), they reappear when you reboot.

The contents of the Desktop are found in \Windows\Desktop. If you choose ROM & RAM Filesystem as your Windows CE filesystem any files that you copy to locations like \Windows or \Windows\Desktop after boot are stored in RAM. Obviously when you reboot, RAM is cleared and everything is gone. In order to have locations like \Windows and \Windows\Desktop persist, you have to provide a persistent storage location for such files to occupy. I believe that the majority of devices that persist files use the ROM-only Filesystem catalog option, rather than ROM & RAM Filesystem, and mount flash memory at the root. If you do this, everything will be persistent; anything written to \ or \Windows or \Windows\Desktop or \myfolder will be stored in/on flash.

To make your device work this way you need:

* Select ROM-only Filesystem

* Identify the storage device (card, built-in flash, USB drive)

* Configure your device boot registry to make sure that the storage is mounted *as a drive* during the first boot phase, as root.

You'll need to read up on "mount as root", "boot phases", and the driver information for the type of storage device you are using.

Paul T.

Monday, April 30, 2012 6:57 PM