Passing reference parameter to return the value? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a program that is to be written using three different methods, one with a return type, one without a return type one with a reference parameter to return the value.

The first two are set up like this:
    private: System::Void btnConvert_Click(System::Object^  sender, System::EventArgs^  e) {
    // [Programmer-defined method WITHOUT a return type]
    				 //double amount;
    				 //Double::TryParse(txtAmount->Text, amount);
    				 //ConvertIt(amount);

// [Programmer-defined method WITH a return type]
                     //double amount,answer;
    		//answer = ConvertIt(amount);
    		//txtAnswer->Text = answer.ToString();
    I'm not understanding the 3rd method which is to use a method with a reference parameter to return
    the value:

The book has it set up like this:

private: System::Void btnConvert_Click(System::Object^  sender, System::EventArgs^  e) {
    // [Programmer-defined method with a reference parameterto return the value]
    double amount, answer; Double::TryParse(txtAmount->Text, amount); ConvertIt(amount,answer); txtAnswer->Text = answer.ToString();
    Previously, I was just passing amount to the method where [answer] could be calculated. I don't understand why answer is being passed when it hasn't been calculated?
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:35 AM

Answers

• The 2nd parameter to double::TryParse isn't really a reference parameter, it's an out parameter. This has similar semantics to a reference parameter, but different expectations on usage. Such a thing isn't formalized in C++, only in C++/CLI (and even then, not to the extent that it is in C#).
    • Proposed as answer by Geert van Horrik Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by oldyeller Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:30 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:42 AM

All replies

• The 2nd parameter to double::TryParse isn't really a reference parameter, it's an out parameter. This has similar semantics to a reference parameter, but different expectations on usage. Such a thing isn't formalized in C++, only in C++/CLI (and even then, not to the extent that it is in C#).
    • Proposed as answer by Geert van Horrik Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by oldyeller Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:30 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Sorry, I'm not understanding. I'm only parsing and then passing the amount since the answer depends on the amount to be calculated.

When I used the programmer method without a return type. I was just passing the amount. Like the code below:

//double amount;
    //ConvertIt(amount);

I was then passing amount to the function ConvertIt, which is below:

private: void ConvertIt(double dis_amount)
    //{

//private: void ConvertIt(double dis_amount)
    //{
    //double answer;

//if (cboFrom->Text == "millimeter" && cboTo->Text == "inch")
    //	 answer = dis_amount / 25.4;
    I don't really understand setting up the function with this reference parameter to return a value when answer is one of the parameters being passed. I can understand it being passed to a display or output function but I don't understand how they are using it here. I know this must be a good logical reason for setting it up the way they are asking but I don't understand it.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:04 PM
  • I don't really understand setting up the function with this reference parameter to return a value when answer is one of the parameters being passed. I can understand it being passed to a display or output function but I don't understand how they are using it here. I know this must be a good logical reason for setting it up the way they are asking but I don't understand it.

I have no clue what your question is. answer isn't being passed anywhere in the code you've shown in this post.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:57 PM