none
Backup SQL Databases with Image Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I would like someones opinion in relation to backing up SQL Databases.

We use a product called Storagecraft which takes Image Backups this allows us to mount the image and extract the file/folder we wish to restore. When we backup the SQL Server it uses SQL VSS Writers as well.

If we needed to restore the databases and we were to mount the image extract the MDF and LDF files and restore them would this be sufficient in restoring a database, or do we need to perform backups with SQL Server under the Maintenance plan and if so what is the difference between backing up using this method as to my Storagecraft software backing these live databases

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:04 PM

All replies

• I would test your backup and restore with Storagecraft in a test environment and compare it to a traditional Sql Server backup and restore.  Especially, dealing with point-in-time recovery scenario.  We have never been a fan of 3rd party backup/restore solutions due to the fact Sql Server has always been rock solid. 
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 4:35 PM
  • Hi dcampbell76,

I suggest that you go to the forum of this third-party tool or ask the technical staff of them. The people on this forum may not know much about this tool.

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:42 AM
  • Hi 

Thanks for the quick response!

The question is not really about the Storage Craft software. Its more a question of how best to restore a SQL database.

Is it sufficient to have a copy of the MDF and LDF files or do we really need a .SQL backup from SQL manager to do the restore? 

Friday, June 7, 2019 8:23 AM