none
Add idMso Controls with VSTO Ribbon Visual Designer RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Working in Visual Studio 2012, playing around with an Outlook 2010 add-in for customizing the ribbon.

I've added a custom tab and want to add some built-in idMso groups to that tab. I'm able to it by adding the "Ribbon (XML)" component and adding, for instance, <group idMso="GroupMailNew"/> which adds the new mail group. But, I'd love to be able to use the designer to do the same thing.

The tabs themselves have the "ControlIdType" property that I can set to "Office" and use the idMso to reference the existing built-in tab. Then anything I put on the ribbon goes on that tab.

I assumed I'd be able to do a similar thing with a group and set it's ID to the proper idMso. BUT, the group controls have only an "Id" property that I can't change, it just becomes whatever I type in the "(Name)" property. The group doesn't have the "ControlIdType" like the tabs.

Is there a way to add an exiting idMso control to a custom tab using the Visual Designer?

Many thanks,
    Ken

Sunday, August 6, 2017 2:49 AM

Answers

• Hi KenKrugh,

As far as I know, Visual Designer does not support to do like this, you could refer to

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386097.aspx

You could see Ribbon(Visual Designer) provide below ways to customize Ribbon

Add custom or built-in tabs to a Ribbon.

Add custom groups to a custom or built-in tab.

Add custom controls to a custom group.

Add custom controls to the Backstage View.

It does not provide a way to add built-in groups to a tab. For adding a built-in group to a custom tab, you have to use Ribbon(XML).

Best Regards,

Terry

• Edited by Terry Xu - MSFT Monday, August 7, 2017 6:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by KenKrugh Monday, August 7, 2017 11:49 AM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi KenKrugh,

As far as I know, Visual Designer does not support to do like this, you could refer to

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386097.aspx

You could see Ribbon(Visual Designer) provide below ways to customize Ribbon

Add custom or built-in tabs to a Ribbon.

Add custom groups to a custom or built-in tab.

Add custom controls to a custom group.

Add custom controls to the Backstage View.

It does not provide a way to add built-in groups to a tab. For adding a built-in group to a custom tab, you have to use Ribbon(XML).

Best Regards,

Terry

• Edited by Terry Xu - MSFT Monday, August 7, 2017 6:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by KenKrugh Monday, August 7, 2017 11:49 AM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 6:22 AM
  • The more I look the more I think you're right, Terry, thanks.

It seemed so silly that MS hadn't included that ability that I assumed I was missing something.

Ribbon (XML) it is then! Thanks again.

Ken

• Edited by KenKrugh Monday, August 7, 2017 11:53 AM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 11:52 AM