Accessing Clipper dBase(dbf) file from .Net RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi Friends

I  connected to Clipper database and trying to access the table in it. I could able to read all the columns of the table except one column which has length of 500 char...

Doubt: How to access the table column which has length more than 250 char...(ie) 500 char

I have use both oledb and odbc

oledb Connection String :

string ConnectionString = " Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=E:\\PathofDBfFile;Extended Properties=dBASE III;";

Odbc Connection String :

string ConnectionString = @"Driver={Microsoft dBASE Driver dbf)};DriverID=276;Dbq=E:\PathOfDbfFile";

Thanks In Advance

Vijay

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 1:16 PM

All replies

• I've not dealt with a Clipper database before but when using Jet OLEDB, columns containing more than 255 characters are considered memo fields and require a different method to access the data. Give the following a try and see if it works for you (just change the connection string, column names, etc.):

Dim retVal As Long

Dim FieldLen As Int32

Dim MemoCol As Integer = 1 ' the column # of the Memo field in the query

Dim AccessConnection As New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _

"Data Source=e:\My Documents\db1.mdb")

Dim AccessCommand As New OleDbCommand("SELECT [record ID], MemoField FROM Table1 WHERE [record id] = 1", AccessConnection)

AccessConnection.Open()

Dim dr As OleDbDataReader = AccessCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.SequentialAccess)

dr.Read()

FieldLen = dr.Item(MemoCol).Length

Dim MemoBuffer(FieldLen - 1) As Char

Dim startIndex As Integer = 0

retVal = dr.GetChars(1, startIndex, MemoBuffer, 0, MemoBuffer.Length)

Console.WriteLine(MemoBuffer)

dr.Close()

AccessConnection.Close()

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 2:58 PM
  •  

Thanks for your reply...........

i tried paul......iam get only null value for the column of more than 255......(ie) FieldLength count is zero

any way thanks for your help.........

good snippet that i can add to my library and reference later.........

Vijay..........

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:07 AM

• About the only other suggestion I can offer is to try the Visual FoxPro OLEDB Provider.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:04 PM