none
Slow Storage access internationally

Question

• I work for an Australian based company (but globally accessed.) and we currently have a site hosted in the Australian East regions that I am migrating to a new azure bizspark subscription.  Unfortunately the new bizspark subscription doesn't allow databases created in Australian regions and so i have created the new site in West US 2 region.

Site consists of Web App, Database and storage account for the storage of photos that can range up to 20mb in size. 

The images are available on the site through a link to the direct blobUrl and can be downloaded on bulk as a ZIP file that the system builds on the fly. 

However in the new site I am getting significant delays in accessing the images. I get the following speeds. These are slow speeds cos i have slow internet.  But that is another issue to be resolved. 

Downloading the blob directly through the Bloburl 20kb to 30kb (150-250 on the Aust East site.)
    Downloading the zip file 50kb-150kb (150-500kb on the Aust East site. )

Can anyone shed any light on why there is a significant different in the speeds.  Is it just because of the distance? Also, are there tips and tricks for global sites that will minimise download latency internationally.  
    Monday, February 13, 2017 1:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,

please have a look at Content Distribution Networks (CDN) to host your images

http://www.azurespeed.com/ to measure speed per DC

Cheers Christophe - Kindly click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you - www.cloudcrusader.com

• Marked as answer by Andrew-123 Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:37 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 10:35 AM