none
VS 2015 Community freeze and lag after update 3 / KB3165756

Question

• Hi

I have windows 7 with all updates installed on SSD and i7 cpu (no such problem on win10)

Story is that after update 3 gui freezes for some millisecons in all operations - writing code, scrolling, navigating in GUI

Are there any way to debug and fix ? Update 2 was stable and fast

none

Monday, February 13, 2017 5:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Igor Kuznetsov_,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> Story is that after update 3 gui freezes for some millisecons in all operations - writing code, scrolling, navigating in GUI

Does this issue happens for the specific projects, all projects with the same project type or all VS project templates?

During the installation of update 3, did you meet any error or warning message? Please go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right click the VS community 2015 with updates and choose Change-Repair. Make sure windows update is up-to-update, no pending patches. After that, check this issue again.

Meanwhile, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:1. Rename or delete the following folders:

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

•C:\Users\<your users name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

2. Open the VS community 2015 installation location, usually locates C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the following commands. After each command, reopen VS to check this issue.

• devenv /resetuserdata: clear the old user data
    • devenv /safemode: run the VS as safe, if it works fine that means the installed extensions may be corrupted the VS, please go to Tool—Extensions and Updates… and remove all installed extensions one by one to find the culprit.

3. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features-Installed Updates and under ‘Microsoft Visual Studio 2015’ and right click the Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 (KB3165756), Change-Repair it, or uninstall it if the repair cannot solve this issue. The uninstall action can help us to confirm if this update affects the freeze issue or not.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:21 AM
  • All the same

Even after deleting KB3165756

I see great lags when i am using VSAE (System Center Visual Studio Authoring Extensions)

I try`d to create c# project - all ok

So i should report that issue (somehow..) to vsae developers ? It is 100% vsae fault? But its ok on win10 pc

none

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:43 AM
  • Hi Igor Kuznetsov,

Thank you for your update.

Since this issue only happens to VSAE, to confirm if the update 3 affect this issue. Please go to Control Panel--Programs and Features-View installed updates, uninstall the Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 (KB3022398) like KB3166756, because KB 3166756 is the Cumulative Servicing Release for Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, not the really VS 2015 update 3, then reboot the computer and restart VS to check this issue again.

BTW, I tried to install VSAE on my Win7 SP1 and create a new Management Pack project and type code in the editor looks fine. You can go to Control Panel\System and Security\System to verify your Win 7 version and try to install SP1: Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). If the SP1 already existing, please go to windows update, make sure it is up-to-date, all pending patches already installed.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:25 AM
  • ITs no KB3022398

I have update3 from iso.. Clean install.Anyway to collect what is slowing down the gui?

none

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:20 AM
  • Hi Igor Kuznetsov_,

Thank you for your feedback.

Since the VSAE works fine with VS community 2015 with update 2, to confirm if the update 3 affect this slow issue, please have a try uninstall the VS community 2015 with update 2 and reinstall with the VS community 2015 RTM or with update 2 versions. You can uninstall the existing VS community 2015 with update 3 as below:

1) Uninstall Visual Studio using the forcibly command like vs_community.exe /uninstall /force or go to Control Panel—Programs and Features, right click the VS community 2015 with update 3, Change-Uninstall.

2) Manually remove the related folders and registry keys as below:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0
    • C:\users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2015
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • C:\users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon\14.0

Go to the registry editor (start >> run >> regedit) and remove/rename the following registries- (Please back up the registry table before the modification)

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0_Config

4) Download and use the Visual Studio Uninstaller tool: https://github.com/Microsoft/VisualStudioUninstaller/releases to remove any remaining of VS 2015.

Download the VS community 2015 to directly install the VS community 2015 RTM version or follow this: How to: Install a Specific Release of Visual Studio to install the VS community 2015 with update 2, then check this issue again.

If it is proved that the VS community 2015 with update 3 caused this VASE slow issue, you can report this issue to the VS product Team here: https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio and waiting for the response from them.

Meanwhile, I found some tips on how to improve the Visual Studio performance, disabling features for large solutions. For example:

1. Go to Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> Advanced and uncheck Enable full solution analysis
    2. Go to Options -> XAML Designer -> General and uncheck Enable XAML Designer (requires restart of Visual Studio)
    3. Go to Options -> Text Editor -> All Languages and uncheck Enable CodeLens
    4. Go to Options -> Debugging -> General and disable Enable Diagnostic Tools while debugging

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 20, 2017 8:31 AM
  • after installing update 2 - all is ok

look like problem is in update 3. thank you

none

Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Hi Igor Kuznetsov_,

I'm so glad to hear that your already found this trick and you can reported this issue to the VS product team when you have free time. If so, could you please share the link in here, in case other community members meet the same or similar issue as yours, thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, since the VS 2017 RC version is released and you can also have a try with the latest version to check if the issue is existing or not. Or waiting for the RTM version of VS 2017 to verify it, I suppose the RTM version will release recently.

BTW, if you think your reply or my reply is helpful, could you please mark it as answer, that will help other community members to confirm this issue, thanks.

Best regards,

Sara 

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 27, 2017 1:56 AM
  • https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Feedback/Details/3124816

none

Monday, February 27, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi Igor Kuznetsov_,

Thank you so much for your sharing, for other community members who meet the same issue please vote this, that can help us to attract the VS product team engineer's attention to research and provide the possible solution. I will also take care of this issue and update the progress in here, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:52 AM