Creating Release Notes RRS feed

• Question

• I am making the switch to Team System and I am wondering if there is a way to generate release notes. I'm moving from FogBugz which allowed you to create them per project or release automatically. Maybe it's just a matter of creating a report of the closed bugs within a period or something?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Ian,

If you're looking for an "automated" approach, you can setup a team build for your "Release" builds, and it will automatically associate the related work items to that specific build.

Also, if you are OK with doing something manually, I might suggest creating a work item query that will filter specific work item types based on their categorization. For example, for your Beta2 release notes, you can retrieve the list of tasks that are marked "Complete" and exist under your "Beta2" iteration path.

With the extensibility that TFS provides, I'm sure you can come up with much better implementations depending on your requirements and development methodology.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:55 PM

All replies

• Ian,

Although I haven't done this I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to create a new report (within the SQL Reporting Servics site) that included all work items for you release.  The release could be determined by a date range (similar to what you describe in your message above) or it could even be configured to report on everything associated with a particluar build (e.g. a "Production" build could be created that doesn't actually promote/push any objects but would allow you to associate all new work items for reporting).

Sunday, April 29, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Hi Ian,

If you're looking for an "automated" approach, you can setup a team build for your "Release" builds, and it will automatically associate the related work items to that specific build.

Also, if you are OK with doing something manually, I might suggest creating a work item query that will filter specific work item types based on their categorization. For example, for your Beta2 release notes, you can retrieve the list of tasks that are marked "Complete" and exist under your "Beta2" iteration path.

With the extensibility that TFS provides, I'm sure you can come up with much better implementations depending on your requirements and development methodology.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 8:55 PM
  • So can I link a work item back to multiple Builds/Releases so that I can track the change in Dev, Test and Production releases?
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Even better, it's been done automatically, if you fulfill some basic requirements.
    Every time you associate work items to your checkin, it will be linked to the resulting changeset. When this changeset is integrated in a particular build, the linked work items will be listet as associated work items.
    Team Build is simply looking for changes since the last successful build on the build branch and creates a result list as part of the build summary. It uses the label which the build itself applies onto the mapped source code folders.
    Hope this helps!

• Proposed as answer by SvenHubert Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:26 PM
  • http://incaman.org/officelive.com/webBCM
    MVD
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:15 PM
  • http://incaman.org/officelive.com/webBCM
    MVD

www.taf.org/cbcontract.htm
    MVD
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:25 PM
  • I would suggest you to try out an external application that can generate changelog / release notes automatically from TFS. You can find it at http://tfschangelog.codeplex.com/

TFSChangeLog application does not integrate with your automated build process (atleast not at this stage) but it can produce changelog on demand. One good thing about this application is that it does allow users to specify their changeset range (i.e. starting point and ending point within a given branch) and then it generates report by extranding changeset information and associated workitems information from the specified range.

TFSChangeLogCL.exe is the command line interface to this very same functionality. You will have to pass in XML file as parameter which has TFS server, project, branch, FromChangeSet and EndChangeSet information. It can then generate output in XML and then transform it using XSLT 2.0 into HTML.

TFSChangeLog is tested against TFS 2010 at this stage as it uses newly supported Branch Objects.

Hope this will be useful for your projects.

Best Regards, 

Dharmesh Shah.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:25 PM