none
How to lock a drive RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to write a program that will allow a user to protect an external drive with a password.
    So far, the only way i could think of doing this is by encrypting the contents of the drive, and decrypting it when given the password.
    Is there a more efficient way of protecting a drive with a password?

Thanks,
    Vivek.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:13 AM

All replies

• You can use TrueCrypt (Open Source) for encrypting external flash and hard drives...  Or EFS (Encryption File System) from Microsoft if your operating system is Vista.  (I have heard a lot of issues with EFS in the blogsphere)

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:28 PM
  • Hi

thanks for those suggestions, but i'm trying to make the software that locks the drive, not use existing software.
    i'm also trying to avoid encrypting the entire drive as this is expensive (and if its impossible for locking without encrypting then i'd like to know that also)

thanks,
    Vivek.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 4:23 AM
  • got it...

I agree that encrypting entire drive is expensive.  End of the day, an operating system (Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac, etc.,) has a defined data structure of how they organize the filesystem.  And it is a public information for most part.  If you take a course on operating system, there are chapters that would teach you on the filesystems of known operating systems. 

The point I am trying to make is without encrypting the drive, how can you protect the file system data structure that is known to pretty much anyone that wants to know it.  Hence bit locking is getting wider acceptance on data protection on devices.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 8:52 PM