A few Encoder/Encoding questions! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am not new to Encoder, but not used for lengthy videos. I found few issues while encoding DVDs for smooth streaming. Please help if you have any solutions for these:

We are starting a new website to stream some of our movie DVDs using Smooth Streaming. All the DVDs have Dolby digital 5.1 audio, Anamorphic widescreen, subtitles, chapters. All these are 8.5 GB DVDs.

1. Is there any method to encode entire DVD instead of importing individual VOB files/enoding one by one?

2. I am having 5 to 6 VOB files for each movie and when I use all these as continuous clip (instead of encoding file by file), I am getting common VC++ runtime error in Pass 1 encoding. If the video length is less (may be around 1GB), everything works fine.

3. As these are movie DVDs, the beginning will contain few titles/censor certificate without any audio for few seconds. When I import the VOB into Encoder, it analyzes the VOB and report "No-Audio". So, I am not getting any audio for entire VOB in the output.

4. Is there any way to include subtitles from the DVD into Smooth stream output? I think few other encoders will encode with subtitles.

5. Is there any way to combine different smooth streams into one continuous stream? In my case, combining 5 streams (from 5 VOB files) into one single smooth stream. I heard "Rough Cut Editor" has few options for this.

I think "Import DVD" feature will be a good one to add in EE4, which can automatically create chapters/markers/subtitles into output smooth stream.

Also if you have any tips for the better encoding/video quality, please let me know. I am using VC-1 VBR encoding with 848X480 dimension.

Let me know, If you know any other DVD to MP4 encoder, which overcomes above issues. I can use Mux to create Smooth streams.

Thank you for your time!

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:08 PM

Answers

• 1-2. I would like to try to reproduce this locally, could you please contact me for us to discuss how we could do this?

Just wondering: have you tried to rip the DVDs into one VOB file and used only one file for encoding? We definitely don't have any sorts of file size limitation (I've successfully encoded much larger source files).

3. We need to get you to a state where you can merge those in our application instead of having to split all those files.

As for your new PC, I suspect your i7 should be around 4x your old core2Duo. The main bottleneck you will be hitting will be the CPU as well as the memory usage, which we are limited to 4GB because our app is still only 32-bit based. We unfortunately don't take advantage of the GPU for encoding at the moment, so a dual GPU will not give you any better results. With 12GB of memory, you should consider running two encodes in parallel (just run two instances of Encoder), which should max out your CPU usage and give you the best perf for that PC.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:31 PM

All replies

• First and foremost, we will not answer any questions directly related to copying or encoding comercial DVDs, as this is an illegal practice that we can't discuss on this forum.

That being said, here are some answers to your questions (put in a generic contrext).

1. No. You will have to look for other tools to do this.

2. Do you have more information about the failure? VC++ runtime is pretty vague.

3. This is more likely due to you having an audio format in that file that's not supported by our Dolby codec (aka like DTS for example). Please confirm that the audio format of that specific DVD.

4. No. Not at the moment.

5. You can merge files using them as clips within our app (which I think that's what you described on #2).

I can safely say that "Import DVD" will not be part of our feature set in the future due to legal reasons, as I'm pretty sure no professional tool from our competitors will ever have that feature for the same reasons.

Advanced VC-1 CVBR encoding at 4Mbps 6Mbps peak using 856x480 is a good profile to archive DVD-quality NTSC content. Note the 856x480 vs 848x480. The latter introduces an unwanted resize operation with will impact sharpness. To be very frank, I would actually have recommended using 720x480 non-square (with 16x9 display aspect ratio), or in the other words keeping the resolution as is; but unfortunately, Silverlight doesn't play nice with non-square pixels (yet anyway).

As for the DVD->MP4, for the same reasons above, this is just not the right forum to discuss this.

Monday, March 22, 2010 8:27 PM
  • Hello Eric,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I can understand your responses related to DVD copying and I agree with you. As we have our own Internet rights for the DVDs/Movies, we are launching the streaming website.

Here is some more information:

1. VC++ runtime error displays "This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information". I will see, if I can get any entry from Even Viewer next time. Do I have to look at any other logs to get more information about this error?

2. The Audio is in AC3 5.1 channel format. There is no other audio stream. The problem is only with one VOB file (First chapter of the movie). The rest of the chapters are working fine. This problem is same with all the DVDs where there is no audio for first few seconds.

I got a work around for this - I demuxed the streams, imported Video/Audio separately into Encoder and then encoded using Audio-overlay.

3. As my encoder is not able to handle files more than 1GB (VC++ error), I can not merge using Encoder. I am encoding each chapter of the Movie/DVD into single IIS smooth stream output. Now, I have 27 individual IIS smooth streams for 27 chapters. I need to merge these into one using "Rough Cut Editor" OR need to use IIS Server side playlist to continuously stream the movie. Do you suggest any other way?

4. Thank you for the encoding tips. I am using 856X480 with VC1 CVBR. I saw non-square pixels issue in Encoder documentation.

As encoding on my current desktop (Core2Duo 2.5GHz, 3GB RAM) is taking hours, I am getting a new PC with corei7, 12GB DDR3 RAM, ATI 1GB Card with RAID 0. Will there be any improvement in encoding if I go for dual graphics card?

Thank you for your time and help!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 8:14 PM
  • 1-2. I would like to try to reproduce this locally, could you please contact me for us to discuss how we could do this?

Just wondering: have you tried to rip the DVDs into one VOB file and used only one file for encoding? We definitely don't have any sorts of file size limitation (I've successfully encoded much larger source files).

3. We need to get you to a state where you can merge those in our application instead of having to split all those files.

As for your new PC, I suspect your i7 should be around 4x your old core2Duo. The main bottleneck you will be hitting will be the CPU as well as the memory usage, which we are limited to 4GB because our app is still only 32-bit based. We unfortunately don't take advantage of the GPU for encoding at the moment, so a dual GPU will not give you any better results. With 12GB of memory, you should consider running two encodes in parallel (just run two instances of Encoder), which should max out your CPU usage and give you the best perf for that PC.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:31 PM
  • Hello Eric,

Thank you for your quick reply. I just sent an email to you with the details to reproduce the audio/encoder issues. Let me know, if you need more information.

Thank you

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:49 PM