none
Has anyone else had trouble running WHQL on laptops? RRS feed

• Question

• We have two desktop computers and two laptop computers that we use to run WHQL tests. The laptops are decent computers, they have i5 processors. The desktops only have Core-2 Duo processors. But I get better results on the desktop computers, especially on Windows Server operating systems. On the laptops I often have tests that don't work and I have to restart them or rerun the failed tests on one of the desktops.

Does anyone have any idea why WHQL might not run well on a laptop? I'm trying to make a case to replace the laptops with desktop computers.

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 3:32 PM

All replies

• I have almost exclusively used laptops for WHQL testing.  They are a nice compact solution, with a built in UPS (if you have potential for power issues).  Recently though I have too have been running into problems.  All of my problems are centered around drivers for supporting hardware.  Laptops usually include a huge selection of hardware, compared to what you would find on a server, so I often have issues getting the right driver or any driver for desktop targeted devices under server OS's.  I have had many a test fail due to some other piece of hardware producing an error code.

Sometimes I can get away with either disabling the device(s) through the BIOS and other times just disabling the device in the OS.

Although I like using laptops I am either going to move to using a small compact bare bones system, or possible transition to out sourcing testing all together.

Thursday, March 5, 2020 3:24 PM