none
Cannot print on a printer which requires an access code RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

the company I'm currently working for is developing an application using the NET-2.0 framework and the report viewer control in server mode. A few seconds ago one of our customers has called and told me that he can't use the reportviewer's print button with a specific printer.

This printer is a KONICA MINOLTA C350 whose printer properties feature an access code property which is used for accounting. This access code is stored in the printer properties dialog. All windows applications work with this printer except the report viewer control.

The customer told me when printing our reports the printer will receive the report but doesn't receive the access code. So the printer is blocking and has to be reset.

Any ideas how to deal with this scenario?

Of course the reports could be printed on another printer (only B/W printers are available) or via PDF (several additional clicks are required). Anyway our customer doesn't like these workarounds and the reportviewer control should support such a scenario, too.

Thanks in advance and best regards, Gerald

Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:22 PM

All replies

• Hi actinium,

You do not mention if you are using the Web or Winforms version of the control. Not that it matters much because there is no additional special code to in either control to handle special printer properties like this. There is no additional work around other then what you have already mentioned.

You can file a customer bug at http://connect.microsoft.com and we will look at addressing in a future release.

Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:34 PM
  • Hi Brad,

we are using the WinForms version of the ReportViewer control, but I have just asked our customer to test the printing from within Internet Explorer using the report manager.

In my opinion there is no need to handle this special property. It is already set in the printer properties dialog and therefore is transparent to applications using this printer. Also ...all other windows applications the customer is using can print on this printer - is there any reason the ReportViewer control can't? Or is the printing method used by the ReportViewer control different from the windows standard? This would really surprise me.

Thanks and best regards, Gerald

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:08 AM