none
Help Me Figure Out My Legal Footing Regarding the New SDK RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently a student working on a major project (a Capstone, kinda like a thesis project but for undergrads), and have been using the Beta Kinect SDK and a 360 Kinect. From the language in the press release, it seems that I would not be able to use the new SDK (for noncommercial applications, which mine would fall under) without buying and using the Kinect for Windows. This is problematic as one of the big features of the Kinect for Windows is the shorter USB cable, which is not a feature for me as, if for no other day besides when I present my Capstone, I will actually need the cable to be as long as it is.

There are elements of the new SDK, specifically choosing which skeleton to track, that I would really like to use, but I don't relish the idea of having to use a Kinect that is fundamentally worse for my needs (or risk degrading performance by extending the USB cable) or being in violation of the Terms of Use for the SDK(s).

If anyone (especially someone on the KfW team) could help clear this up or (in the worst case scenario) provide the best way to extend the Kinect for Windows cable while compromising as little performance as humanly possible, that would greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Edited by Fish Face McGee Monday, February 20, 2012 10:22 PM Clarification
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:16 PM

Answers

• You can use the 1.0 SDK for development purposes with the XBox Kinect. You cannot, however, run the application you create with an XBox Kinect on a machine that does not have the SDK installed on it.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:25 AM
  • I'm currently a student working on a major project (a Capstone, kinda like a thesis project but for undergrads), and have been using the Beta Kinect SDK and a 360 Kinect. From the language in the press release, it seems that I would not be able to use the new SDK (for noncommercial applications, which mine would fall under) without buying and using the Kinect for Windows. This is problematic as one of the big features of the Kinect for Windows is the shorter USB cable, which is not a feature for me as, if for no other day besides when I present my Capstone, I will actually need the cable to be as long as it is.

There are elements of the new SDK, specifically choosing which skeleton to track, that I would really like to use, but I don't relish the idea of having to use a Kinect that is fundamentally worse for my needs (or risk degrading performance by extending the USB cable) or being in violation of the Terms of Use for the SDK(s).

If anyone (especially someone on the KfW team) could help clear this up or (in the worst case scenario) provide the best way to extend the Kinect for Windows cable while compromising as little performance as humanly possible, that would greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A capstone huh? The only university I know who call it that is UTS.

As Todd stated, you are allowed to use an xbox kinect (with its long cable) on the day of your presentation. You can download the SDK v1.0 here; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/overview.aspx

If you've already started coding in the beta2 and want to use said code in the v1.0 SDK you can find it here; http://robrelyea.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/k4w-code-migration-from-beta2-to-v1-0-managed/

Keep in mind the academic version will be coming out later this year as far as we've been told, and as a student you may qualify for this. But if cable length is such a large concern to you and you're not concerned with the other features of the kinect for windows, you might as well use the xbox 360 kinect.

You could always hack open your kinect and fiddle around with it yourself too. Don't expect any warranty (or a recommendation from me!) to do so though, but many colleagues of mine have done so with the xbox 360 kinect in the past (needed to water proof one... don't ask haha).

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:51 AM

All replies

• You can use the 1.0 SDK for development purposes with the XBox Kinect. You cannot, however, run the application you create with an XBox Kinect on a machine that does not have the SDK installed on it.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:25 AM

Thanks!

A capstone huh? The only university I know who call it that is UTS.

As Todd stated, you are allowed to use an xbox kinect (with its long cable) on the day of your presentation. You can download the SDK v1.0 here; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/overview.aspx

If you've already started coding in the beta2 and want to use said code in the v1.0 SDK you can find it here; http://robrelyea.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/k4w-code-migration-from-beta2-to-v1-0-managed/

Keep in mind the academic version will be coming out later this year as far as we've been told, and as a student you may qualify for this. But if cable length is such a large concern to you and you're not concerned with the other features of the kinect for windows, you might as well use the xbox 360 kinect.

You could always hack open your kinect and fiddle around with it yourself too. Don't expect any warranty (or a recommendation from me!) to do so though, but many colleagues of mine have done so with the xbox 360 kinect in the past (needed to water proof one... don't ask haha).

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Thanks for the answers, guys (especially since it's what I wanted to hear)! I'm a New Media student at IUPUI (so it'll end up being an IU degree). Also, thanks for the link for the migration info. Thanks again!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:28 PM