Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 and Windows_Mobile_6.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd like to know about relations precisely between Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5, Windows Mobile 6.5, and Windows CE 5.2.
    The followings must be basic questions.

Q1
    Does application program which was created for Windows Mobile 6.5 or Windows CE 5.2 work correctly on the Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5?

Q2
    Since Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 was build on Windows Mobile 6.5 platform, does any application program, which was created for Win CE 5.2 or higher, work correctly on Windows Mobile 6.5?

Please advise.

Thank you!!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

1. There is no product CE 5.2.  CE 5.2 is the custom version of CE 5.X with specific features for Windows Mobile 6.X.

2. Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 is a customized version of Windows Mobile 6.5 to support Handheld scenarios.

Therefore, an application written for Windows Mobile 6.X is quite likely to work on Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5  but if it relies on something specific to that phone, it may not be available on a competing platform.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 15, 2016 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. There is no product CE 5.2.  CE 5.2 is the custom version of CE 5.X with specific features for Windows Mobile 6.X.

2. Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 is a customized version of Windows Mobile 6.5 to support Handheld scenarios.

Therefore, an application written for Windows Mobile 6.X is quite likely to work on Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5  but if it relies on something specific to that phone, it may not be available on a competing platform.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, April 15, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for your clear reply!!

Regards,

Odnok

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 5:46 AM
  • You are very welcome! In future, please mark the answer to your question.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Hello IoTGirl,

I'm beginner in programming app for Windows Mobile or Embedded Handheld 6.5. Could you please point me for some good tutorials/books/links how I can start from installing vs2008 to my first app.

And could you describe once again will be apps written for windows mobile compatible with windows embedded 6.5?

Thank you in advance!

Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:22 PM
  • Hi Edkar,

If you are a student, I recommend you join http://www.dreamspark.com/ .  If you are starting a new project for an embedded device you should get direction from the OEM of that device as to what they support but yes, in general Windows Mobile 6.X Software will run on Windows Mobile Handheld 6.5 but the OEM and owner can lock out third party applications so you will need to work with the seller/OEM to ensure your application will run.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, February 2, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Thank you for response!

I'm not a student, i'm a .net developer and have the request from customer to develop app for specific device.

So if you can share some useful tutorials to quick onboarding it will be great for me)

Friday, February 3, 2017 5:40 PM
  • Hi edkar,

You should work with the device OEM to ensure they support third party software and they should also give you an SDK to develop for their solution.

I would hate to give you generic guidance then have it fail due to rules added by the OEM/Seller.  Please use the manufacturer as your first line of support.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, February 3, 2017 7:36 PM
  • IoTGirl, Thank you!
    Monday, February 13, 2017 7:11 PM
  • You are very welcome!

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:26 PM