Side-Scrolling Game RRS feed

• Question

• Any tips for making a side-scrolling game run fast or more smooth?
    • Edited by Luxidium Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:29 PM
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:27 PM

Answers

• Thanks but I just wonted to know if theres any thing like Double buffer type stuff I could

do to make it run faster

The form can be set to Double buffer and maybe some other controls but I don't know which ones. But that will not make anything run faster per se.

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:14 AM

All replies

• Without any idea of how you've designed the game, there's no way to provide specific help.

Here's an article that you may find useful:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17358.how-to-create-video-games-in-vb-net-windows-forms.aspx

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Thanks but I just wonted to know if theres any thing like Double buffer type stuff I could

do to make it run faster

Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:24 AM

do to make it run faster

The form can be set to Double buffer and maybe some other controls but I don't know which ones. But that will not make anything run faster per se.

Please BEWARE that I have NO EXPERIENCE and NO EXPERTISE and probably onset of DEMENTIA which may affect my answers! Also, I've been told by an expert, that when you post an image it clutters up the thread and mysteriously, over time, the link to the image will somehow become "unstable" or something to that effect. :) I can only surmise that is due to Global Warming of the threads.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:14 AM

do to make it run faster

If I'm to judge by your other post, you are using a PictureBox as the "sprite" object, so no, doublebuffering the form will not help you.  The article I linked touches on why a control like a PicutreBox doesn't work well for most games and offers some better alternatives.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:22 AM