Windows Dev Prv VMWare install ?

Question

• Could not install the Windows 8 dev preview on VMWare 7. Will boot from the ISO but after the initial loading of files the system fails and shuts down. If anyone has any luck in getting it installed here would be interested to know how. I don't have extra hardware to throw it on right now.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Windows 8 is not supported on VMware Workstation 7.  You will either need to upgrade to VMware Workstation 8 ($99) or download the free 30-day trial.
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it answered your question, remember to "Mark as Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

[Blog] Engineering Efficiency | [Twitter] @Rich_Prescott | [Powershell GUI] Client System Administration tool
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Just for completness. The Windows 8 Developer Preview is neither (officialy) supported on VMware Workstation 8 RTM - there is no word about Windows 8 in the official supported OS list.

However, in most cases, it works, at least on the latest Beta it did. There were some cases when it had not worked as expected, but some of the issues go out after playing a bit with the hardware configuration (for example lowering amount of RAM). RTM is too new, so most of the observations currently available is still from the Beta.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:11 PM
  • I have upgrade to VM 8 and the installation proceeds to the 'select drivers to install screen' but can not get past that as not sure what drivers are needed and do not have an option. Will reseach but answer posted here would be nice.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:58 PM
  • Thanks for the warning. I didn't realize VMware Workstation 8 was out yet. Is it a beta or already shipping? I've been a VMware Workstation user for years and didn't get an email from them about Workstation 8! *Bad* VMware! *Bad*! ;-)

P.S.: How about VirtualBox? I don't see the harm in trying it even if nobody has claimed it's supported. ;-) KVM? Xen? QEMU / KQEMU?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Ed Borasky wrote:

Thanks for the warning. I didn't realize VMware Workstation 8 was out yet. Is it a beta or already shipping? I've been a VMware Workstation user for years and didn't get an email from them about Workstation 8! Bad VMware! Bad! ;-)

There were postings indicating it was out this morning. 

P.S.: How about VirtualBox?

Windows 8 works in VirtualBox.

Tony

Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
    For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files   updated see http://www.autofeupdater.com/

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:40 AM
  • They have released the RTM version yesterday. If you were in the beta check the beta Communities page.

You can install Windows 8 into the VirtualBox, however, I were unable to install tools into the ghost. They have a hardcoded version check in the installer and refused to install.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:53 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 05:53:40 +0000, MCCZ wrote:

You can install Windows 8 into the VirtualBox, however, I were unable to install tools into the ghost. They have a hardcoded version check in the installer and refused to install.

Simply set the compat mode for the installer to Windows 7. Everything in
    the guest additions works correctly except for the video driver.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:36 AM
  • The drivers issue seems to be a fluke. I saw that some people had a bad checksum after download and was causing problems, so I checked mine and of course it was off. So re-downloaded last right, right check sum and now the install seems to be going smooth.

FYI. Check your checksum, must have been some download party.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hello,

Steven Sinofsky has a new entry in the Building Windows 8 blog that has some good information:

Running Windows 8 Developer Preview in a virtual environment

Thanks

Michael
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:40 PM
    Owner