none
Kinect no longer works! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I've been bashing my head on this one for the last couple of days. Here's the backgorund:

I first got interested in Brekel's plug-in for MotionBuilder, so I installed NITE and NI drivers.

Everything was working wonderfully. Then I said: "Developing looks interesting"

So I uninstall NITE and NI drivers and install the Microsoft SDK. Install completes as expected, and when I plug in the Kinect Device Manager goes bananas, so I decide to unplug the Kinect and reboot. Device Manager no longer sees the Kinect. I start over, uninstalling the MSDK and cleaning the registry as well. Reboot. Install. No Found New Hardware Wizard and nothing in Device Manager, when I plug it in, though, I hear the system found for "New Hardware Connected"

So, how can I go about fixing this? Anybody else having the same hard time?

BTW I'm on W7 Ultimate, updated with all the latest service packs, security packs, you name it...

Cheers to all!

L

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hey guys!

I've been a little busy lately so my Kinect-ing was a little still but I just tried all your suggestions and now it finally works!

Turns out the REALLY IMPORTANT part was to skip obtaining drivers from Windows Update...

Otherwise a driver for a Kinect NUI Motor would install before everything else, and the audio part wouldn't work.

Now I finally succesfully tested ShapeGame with voice recognition and all!

STILL it's not properly listed in Device Manager *I see 3 devices, nested to an Unknown device, but hey it works with all the features, so...

Thank you all for your time and interest in this and I hope this thread is useful to someone someday.

PEACE

L

LM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:53 AM

All replies

• Remember to check cables i cant stress how i have forgetten a cable and the kinect device with a check mark shows up in the task bar and the kinect device part shows up in device manager but nothing else like the installation pictures show!

Check cables and make sure your kinect device has a seperate power source because usb power from computer will not power kinect by itself and will cause the driver to not load all components. For instance, in device mananger kinect device shows up but the kinect audio, kinect video, and other components do not show up.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Hey Mr. Thinker!

Thank you very much for your interest in helping me out!

Yeah, at first I thought power supply could be the culprit, since all symptoms point in that direction (devices not properly showing up in device manager)

The strange thing is I went back to the Open NI drivers and it works just fine, so it isn't a power issue...

What I've noticed, though, is that if I uninstall ALL drivers (OpenNi and MS) and plug the Kinect, Windows will install the OpenNI drivers, even though, they've been uninstalled.

Yes, I have tried cleaning the registry after uninstall to delete all info on previous drivers.

BTW, last night I was still trying to get it working right and the wizard correctly saw four devices, but failed to install the audio device, stating that the device was unplugged. And from there Device Manager keeps on refreshing over and over but I only see three devices (Array Control, Camera and Audio) that stutter endlessly...

The only other thing I can think of is the Kinect being faulty but I doubt it since it works well with the Open drivers...

I think maybe a clean OS install could do it, but just to think of that makes me uneasy...

Cheers to all,

L

LM
    • Edited by dr.marimbas Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:13 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Do you have any other USB devices connected to same PC? Try plugging kinect in with no other USB devices connected, and also try plugging it to other USB ports.

If you go to Device Manager and open "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" you should see a couple that say "Enhanced Host Controller" or something like that, which is where the Kinect will typically attach. If you go to "Properties", "Advanced" tab for these devices you should see how much USB bandwidth is being consumed in your machine. Note that Kinect drivers need 61% bandwidth reserved.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Friday, October 21, 2011 3:08 AM
  • I had to reinstall kinect on another computer  for demo purposes at the school to show to teachers and during reinstallation sometimes you get a device unplugged just wait until all devices are installed after uninstalling the kinect in control panel.

Try these steps and eddys advanced step above too:

1. Reinstall kinect sdk

2. Uninstall kinect drivers in control panel.

3. Make sure to skip getting drivers from windows update during driver installation as this will install the open ni drivers sometimes i noticed.

in addition to above steps check cable connections and dont worry if it says kinect audio unplugged after first installation just try replugging in the kinect device after the device drivers get done installing and that notice will disappear most times i've done this.
    make sure to uninstall the kinect device but installing the kienct sdk usually helps unless you used windows update to install drivers.
    • Edited by The Thinker Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:52 PM
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:41 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Hey guys!

I've been a little busy lately so my Kinect-ing was a little still but I just tried all your suggestions and now it finally works!

Turns out the REALLY IMPORTANT part was to skip obtaining drivers from Windows Update...

Otherwise a driver for a Kinect NUI Motor would install before everything else, and the audio part wouldn't work.

Now I finally succesfully tested ShapeGame with voice recognition and all!

STILL it's not properly listed in Device Manager *I see 3 devices, nested to an Unknown device, but hey it works with all the features, so...

Thank you all for your time and interest in this and I hope this thread is useful to someone someday.

PEACE

L

LM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:53 AM
  • Im glad my suggestion worked for the windows update.  Uninstalling the unknown device in device manager or replugging up the kinect to a different usb port might solve the problem of unknown device but i cant say for sure on that one because i havent seen a picture of how it looks in control panel.
    • Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Hello!

I just installed Beta 2 and it messed  everything up! I have tried everything: uninstalling, reinstalling, you name it...

No matter what I do it just doesn't work, this is what I get in device manager after a successful install of Beta 2:

HRLP PLEASE!!!

This has lasted two weeks now...

I-'ve thought of a complete system re install, but who gives?

Thanks all!

L

LM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:32 AM
  •  Yikes! you could try reinstalling any previous kinect beta sdks first like the docs for the new one say and then reinstalling the new one. But other then that do what ive already told you for the above and look at the update about the new kinect sdk at the top of this forum.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:10 PM
  • I suggest you try:

-unplug the Kinect

-uninstall the Beta 2 SDK

-make sure all other Kinect stuff is uninstalled - any non-microsoft drivers, and also the Beta1 SDK

-reboot (just to be sure!)

- install the beta 2 sdk again

- plug in the Kinect to the USB ports on the back of your computer - the motherboard ports.  Also, make sure any high-bandwidth USB devices like a webcam are *not* plugged in to the same hub.

If that all works, try the Kinect in other ports and/or plug in other devices like webcams - if problems occur, then we can isolate what the cause is.

Good luck!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Bob!

I have done it 50 times... It just doesn't work! This is really driving me NUTS!

I'm thinking of re-installing Windows because of this... Maybe I screwed up something in the registry trying to clean things up.

The odd thing is that it works perfectly with OpenNI drivers...

I got a long night ahead setting up the new system but I'm almost certain that it will work flawlessly in a fresh system.

I'll let you know!

Cheers!

L

LM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:49 AM
  • did you completely remove all OpenNI drivers?
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:18 PM
  • OK So I'm writing using a brand new Win 7 installation made entirely for the purpose of getting this thing to work.

Obviously there have never been OpenNI drivers installed in this machine.

I installed Beta2 directly.

Now I see a propoer Microsoft Kinect that groups other devices, but the camera keeps on flickering on and off.

The audio demo app is working. Skeletal Viewer sometimes does nothing at all, sometimes spits out the NuiInitialize failed error message. Shape Game states that the Kinect is attached to the PC, but AC power is missing...

Obviously the Kinect is connected to a power source.

I was thinking that somehow my old registry was broken, but all this leads me to think that I have a faulty power source...

I'm getting a new Kinect to determine whether or not I have a faulty one.

But still, why would it work with OpenNI drivers perfectly?

I like troubleshooting, but I'd rather be Kinecting :(

Hope this all gets figured out soon...

Thanks all!!

L

LM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:18 AM