none
AZCopy - See status of large file being uploaded

Question

• Hello -

I have a large file....488GB in size, that I am looking to upload to an Azure VM as the end state.  I currently have a job setup using AZCopy with journaling enabled to restart from any network failure and the destination is an Azure FileShare.  I'm about 36 Hours into the copy and I expect it to go a while longer at the 3MB/Second rate that I am seeing.

Is there anyway to see a status on how much data has been copied so far?  I was looking at Start-AzureStorageFileCopy (?) and it had a status setting that compared total bytes to number of bytes currently uploaded.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:31 PM

All replies

• Its not using AZCopy, but you can install Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer on a machine and then add your Azure account and view your storage account, then check your blob containers and see the VHD's. You can then see the last modified date and the size. You can right click on your VHD then view the properties as well for more information.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Hi Nick -

I had that installed already and unfortunately didn't give me an updated status.  What happens is that it shows my 488GB file with the size of 488GB...it doesn't increment the size of the file as it is being moved.

Anyways, the file finished copying in about 54 Hours so I no longer need to look for a status for this particular case, but I would like to find something for future copies.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Apt, Microsoft Certified Master | Exchange 2010 My Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:33 PM
  • Hi Jason -

So far as I know, you'll need to write code to do this. However, the Azure Data Movement Library should provide what you need.

Take a look at this class:

TransferProgress Class (Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage.DataMovement)

The documentation is quite minimal, but there are samples included in the GitHub repo. Let us know if you are able to figure it out, or if you need additional assistance. 

Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:45 PM