SSAS Tabular live connection doesn't work if my visual studio project is not open RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have a ssas tabular model as a data source in a .pbix-file. I have uploaded the .pbix-file to Power BI Services and it works fine as long as my visual studio project is open. If I close my visual studio project, the objects in Power BI Services will say "The data recievement for this visual information was not successful."

Aktivitets-ID460d47c2-916a-76ce-0ff0-d1eb03d060c0

Begär ID10c1e4b3-6779-5600-c7ad-5fdfc22ef526

But as soon as I open the Visual Studio project again, it works.

Does VS really has to be open for live connection to work?

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:30 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

It looks like you are connecting to the workspace version of the SSAS tabular database. Meaning you are connecting to the SSAS database with name like <DBName> with some Guid   Ex: <DBName>_<UserName>_00e8a63d-1c16-4465-af02-90d9b232e175. This database is created to store and process the changes being done in the development environment. Once you close the solution file , the database will be deleted based on the settings you have. To avoid this , try deploying and processing the cube in the server. Then establish a connection to the deployed database instead of the workspace database.

Best Regards Sorna

• Proposed as answer by Darren GosbellMVP Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by BI Mattias Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

It looks like you are connecting to the workspace version of the SSAS tabular database. Meaning you are connecting to the SSAS database with name like <DBName> with some Guid   Ex: <DBName>_<UserName>_00e8a63d-1c16-4465-af02-90d9b232e175. This database is created to store and process the changes being done in the development environment. Once you close the solution file , the database will be deleted based on the settings you have. To avoid this , try deploying and processing the cube in the server. Then establish a connection to the deployed database instead of the workspace database.

Best Regards Sorna

• Proposed as answer by Darren GosbellMVP Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by BI Mattias Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:40 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Thank you Sorna.

Thats exactly what had happened.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 1:40 PM
  • Hi Sorna,

"try deploying and processing the cube in the server. Then establish a connection to the deployed database instead of the workspace database."

May you please advice how?

Really many thanks in advance,

Max

Friday, October 27, 2017 12:43 PM