Expression Blend 3 Assets / Behaviors Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I recently completed a project in EB3 (ver. 3.0.1927.0) with recorded storyboard timings.  I could not get my project to animate.  When I look in Assets / Behaviors the window has no behaviors in it and only a link to Expression Gallery.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Expression Studio 3 and Silverlight 3 but it made no difference.  Is there anything missing in my install or a possible registry problem.  I am running XP Pro, SP3 and .Net Framework 3.0 SP2.  Any help will be appreciated.  My install is for Expression Studio so I either uninstall or install it all at once.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Kenny,
                    You have the correct version of Blend SDK installed. In your description you mentioned that you have .Net Framework 3.0 SP2, I believe it should be .Net 3.5 SP1 otherwise Blend 3 will not install on your machine. Also, do you have below registry key set on your machine
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\3.0\Toolbox\Silverlight\v3.0\SilverlightInteractivity? It should be set to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend 3\Interactivity\Libraries\Silverlight\. You must be having similar entries for WPF.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

Friday, October 30, 2009 7:32 PM
  • The DragDropItem behavior is not one that is shipped with the Blend3SDK.  To get this Behavior you would have to have the code for it from the sample you are watching.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Hi there,

The WrapPanel is not a control that ships out of the box with the Silverlight 3 SDK. To get the WrapPanel, you need to install the Silverlight 3 Toolkit that you can download for free from here.

http://www.codeplex.com/Silverlight

Thanks,

Unni

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 19, 2010 11:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,
          To start with, can you please tell us the version of Blend SDK installed on your machine?

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Navit,

The version of Blend SDK that installed is 1.0.1327.0

Thanks,

Kenny
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Hi Kenny,
                    You have the correct version of Blend SDK installed. In your description you mentioned that you have .Net Framework 3.0 SP2, I believe it should be .Net 3.5 SP1 otherwise Blend 3 will not install on your machine. Also, do you have below registry key set on your machine
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\3.0\Toolbox\Silverlight\v3.0\SilverlightInteractivity? It should be set to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend 3\Interactivity\Libraries\Silverlight\. You must be having similar entries for WPF.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena

Friday, October 30, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Navit,

I already have .Net 3.5 SP1 installed.  I missed reporting this on my original post.  However, I was missing the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\3.0\Toolbox\Silverlight\v3.0\SilverlightInteractivity key.

The WPF keys are already present.

I entered the missing key and now EB3 is displaying eight  behaviors.  I will assume this is the correct number of behaviors that come with the initial install.  Please let me know if there should be others. 

Thank you very much for your help in resolving this problem.

Kenny
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Hi Kenny,
                      Eight is the correct number, I am glad your problem has been resolved.

Thanks,
    Navit Saxena
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Navit,
    Thank you for the posting.  However I have EB3(V3.0.1927.0) installed under Win7, .Net 3.5 and EB3 SDK.  Hoever I have 13 Behaviors and 5 under Sketch Flow.  One of the tutorials showed a Behavior of DragDrop item in Behaviors - but this isn't on my list.  Any idea where this can be located?
    Dean Edouarde
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 11:43 PM
  • I was following the tutorial for Expression Blend (lesson 9) by Jeremy Osborn  and found I was also missing the DragDrop behavior that should appear on the Assets list. I have this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\3.0\Toolbox\Silverlight\v3.0\SilverlightInteractivity

but I am still missing the 'DragDropItem'. What is the WPF key? It isn't noted in the above mail. Perhaps that is what I'm missing and need in order for the missing item to appear? Sorry, I am a designer trying to learn Sketch and doing my best to understand the technical side.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Cindy
    Monday, November 9, 2009 12:49 AM
  • The DragDropItem behavior is not one that is shipped with the Blend3SDK.  To get this Behavior you would have to have the code for it from the sample you are watching.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Monday, November 9, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Scott,
    The sketchflow starter kit video on behaviors references a DragDropItem custom behavior - this is not present in the Prototyping_with_Sketchflow_StarterKit zip download and no where is it mentioned where to find/download it. 
    It appears to be from some Mix presentation (Snowboard_Mix_StartScreens, Expression.Prototype.Screens.dll) but I (and others like Cindy) can't find it.
    Thanks!
    Toby
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Hi guys, unfortunately I have the same problem as kml001 had before, in Assets / Behaviors there is no any behavior and only a link to Expression Gallery. Version of Blend is 3.0.1927.0, I have reinstalled Blend SDK 1.0.1327.0, I checked registry on my machine, the keys are present and set correctly.

By the way when I create new project / SketchFlow Application I have 13 behaviors in Assets / Behaviors, but don't have any in Silverlight Application.

Could you help me please?

Thanks
    Zakhar.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Hi guys, unfortunately I have the same problem as kml001 had before, in Assets / Behaviors there is no any behavior and only a link to Expression Gallery. Version of Blend is 3.0.1927.0, I have reinstalled Blend SDK 1.0.1327.0, I checked registry on my machine, the keys are present and set correctly.

By the way when I create new project / SketchFlow Application I have 13 behaviors in Assets / Behaviors, but don't have any in Silverlight Application.

Could you help me please?

Thanks
    Zakhar.

Hello, I am also having this exact problem ... no behaviors are showing up for a new Silverlight project (with or without website) but the behaviors do show up in a new SketchFlow project. I am also using ...

• Blend version is 3.0.1927.0
    • Blend SDK is 1.0.1327.0

The registry key for SilverlightInteractivity is found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\3.0\Toolbox\Silverlight\v3.0

** Also, this may be related, I'm not seeing all of the controls that I would expect to see. On another machine with the same install, 43 controls are listed in the assets panel but here I'm only seeing 28 for some reason. I have installed the Silverlight Toolkit and Silverlight SDK.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

-- Josh

Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Same issue here.

I downloaded this tutorial:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C8279A5F-AE78-4D82-AD11-D9AA10520945&displaylang=en

And, in lesson 9, the instructor clearly shows adding a behavior called DragDropItem and binding it to a select box. Also, it appears the instructor is running Expression Blend 3 Beta and has 15 behaviors.

Any chance we can get this behavior?
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Same issue here as well.

Any chance we can get a resolution to the missing DragDropItem behavior referred to in the "training" for Microsoft by Jeremy Osborn.

Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:07 AM
  •         I had the same problem with a wrap panel that doesn't show up in the silverlight options of my Blend.  I also saw it used on an MS tutorial.  There are a number of controls that I have in my VS2008 silverlight 3,  that I can't download into Blend.  They never show up there.  By the way I am using Blend 3 with the latest SDK.  In general,  how can a silverlight control be added to Blend's asset library.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:45 AM
  • The DragDropItem behavior is part of the sample project SnowboardSketch for WPF.  You can use the code behind file to add to other WPF projects.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Toby,
    Where you ever able to find the dll for the DragDropItemBehavior?

Thanks
    Deke
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:26 PM
  • There is a very simple answer to this problem, you need a couple of DLL added to your project, I went through the same thing and got all sorts of misdirection.

Find the dll's:

microsoft.expression.interactions.dll

system.windows.interactivity.dll

They are located in the Microsoft SDKs buried quite a ways in, just search them up, the path is ridiculous.

Use Project:Add Reference  to include them.

This is a real pain and it seems like this question NEVER gets answered here.  Frankly, I have had it with Blend, but I hope you have better luck!

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Hi there,

The WrapPanel is not a control that ships out of the box with the Silverlight 3 SDK. To get the WrapPanel, you need to install the Silverlight 3 Toolkit that you can download for free from here.

http://www.codeplex.com/Silverlight

Thanks,

Unni

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:03 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Were you ever able to get to the bottom of this issue? If not, could you please get in touch with me directly at unnir at microsoft dot com. I will make sure that you are unblocked.

Thanks,
    Unni

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:05 PM
  • Wow finally someone speaking their mind. A bit frustrating road for me as well. Been looking around for an an answer and nothing yet. i dont know if i am missing something, but i've looked into the solutions in this forum and i still have no behaviors for Silverlight. I do have a number of behaviors in Sketch. Hopefully someone can post a solution.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:30 AM
  • Hi Josh,

Were you ever able to get to the bottom of this issue? If not, could you please get in touch with me directly at unnir at microsoft dot com. I will make sure that you are unblocked.

Thanks,
    Unni

Has there been a resolution or workaround to this?

I'm using Expression Blend 4 and Visual Studio 2010. I've created a Windows Phone 7.1 project from Visual Studio and when I open the project in Blend, there are no Effects under the Assets tab. I tried adding some project references like Microsoft.Expression.Effects.dll and System.Windows.Interactivity.dll and neither have an effect.

I noticed that the sample applications with Blend, like Beehive.sln, have a reference to Microsoft.Expression.Effects.dll and effects DO show up in the assets tab.

What gives here? Anyone? This is so frustrating...

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:05 AM