SQL Server Web Replication - SSL Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to configure SQLServer Web Replication in my IIS 7.5 and test this over the internet (between different domains, no VPN). I have one doubt regarding the configuration of SSL certificate.

I created new website named wrenchsql.com and created the virtual directory wrench. I configured on public ip to this site. Now i can access the virtual directory publicly using this ip. I think it is not possible to configure web replication using public IP, it needs domain name. What are the steps to make it live ? If I purchase a  domain with name wrenchsql.com  and attached to my ip , is it possible configure web replication ?  Do I need to purchase the SSL certificate for the URL ?

www.wrenchsql.com

OR

www.wrenchsql.com\wrench\replisapi.dll

Regards

Dominic

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:03 AM

All replies

• You will need to generate a certificate for you domain name. If the certificate is for a different name you will not be able to authenticate.

looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Administration? http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-2008-Management-Administration/dp/067233044X looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Full-Text Search? http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Full-Text-Search-Server-2008/dp/1430215941

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Thank you for your reply. I understood that i need to generate a certificate for my domain. Can you check my steps :

Step 1 . Create a new website  [For Ex: wrenchsql.com] in my IIS and create the virtual directory

Step 2.  I dont have domain now. I have one public ip [static ip] configured to my IIS. What i am  planning is that, purchase a domain name  with the same name of my website [wrenchsql.com] and map that domain to my IIS [using my static ip] .

Step 3. Is there any issue if the host name of my IIS [My system name] is different from the domain name what i am going to purchase ?

Step 4. Purchase an SSL certificate for the new domain and  configured in my IIS .

Can you correct me , if there anything wrong ?

Regards

Dominic

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:38 AM