Popup element not visible in design view in Visual Studio 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a Windows Store app which includes several popups using the <Popup> tag. Everything works great in my app, but the designers in Visual Studio 2013 and Expression Blend 2013 refuse to show the Popup, forcing me to run the app in order to see what my changes actually look like. I tried changing the IsOpen attribute of the Popup to True, but it is still not visible in the designers. Is there some special utility for designing Popups? Is there something I am doing that is hiding the Popups in the designers? The only way I can come up with to edit the Popups using the designers is to design them not as Popups and then cut and paste the XAML into a Popup, but that seems like it should be unnecessary, and requires extra steps every time you need to test something. Any ideas? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Saturday, January 4, 2014 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Nathan,

I'd like suggest you to ask question at: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/home?forum=blend, this is the forum for Expression Blend.

I tried to test some Popups and looks not bad, you could see the position of the TextBlock but you cannot see what's inside. Is that the same thing on your screen? Well, if yes, it is by-design.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, January 6, 2014 2:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Nathan,

I'd like suggest you to ask question at: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/home?forum=blend, this is the forum for Expression Blend.

I tried to test some Popups and looks not bad, you could see the position of the TextBlock but you cannot see what's inside. Is that the same thing on your screen? Well, if yes, it is by-design.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, January 6, 2014 2:33 AM
  • Are you kidding it's by Design???

Of course it's a bug!! It's a visual designer that can't visually design popup panels!!

It was working when I was using Windows 8.0 RTM as my OS, but since I upgraded it to 8.1 (and later to 8.1 update 1) the Popup editing capabilities has gone!!!!!

It's very anti productive by now!!

Monday, May 5, 2014 4:02 PM
  • I would like to agree with rodrigoratan, this is very weird by-design behavior - how are we supposed to DESIGN Popups if the DESIGNER does not show them? Should we create them blind or launch the app everytime we need to see changes? (yeah, however, there's apparently no other option at the moment).

It was working in VS 2012 and Blend 2012 on Windows 8.0. After 8.1/VS2013 upgrade it is not working neither in Blend 2012 nor Blend 2013 (nor Visual Studio).

If it looks "not bad" to you, could you please tell us how to design them in a quick and comfortable manner?

Please try your best to make them visible again.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:15 PM
  • I agree with everyone that it is (in our opinions, at least) bad by-design behavior, so I still hold by that opinion. So what I have started doing is making "temporary" user controls or pages in which I design the popup, and then copy & paste that XAML into the desired page. I only use the "temporary" page for designing the UI (not the codebehind) and then delete it once I am comfortable or satisfied with the look of the popup. If at some later point I decide I need to redesign or significantly modify the popup, I just do the reverse (copy & paste into a new "temporary" page). This is definitely not as fast or efficient as being able to see it in the original page, but at least it gives me the ability to design it using the designer. Hopefully this can at least help some people until Visual Studio gives us the ability to do it the way we want.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Very interesting is the fact that the preview WORKS for Windows Phone projects (in both VS2012 and VS2013 as well as in Blend 2013). So it seems the change has been made only for Windows Store App projects.

As the XAML for WP is nearly the same as for the WinStoreApps, this may be another workaround.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:54 AM