none
How do I make a tabbed subform requery based on changes in another tabbed subform? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a form with a tab control, which in turn has 3 subforms on separate tabs.

The first tab has records where the user fills in a quantity on a record.  if that quantity is > 0, I want that record to show up in the second tab.  The second tab is a query based on the records in the first tab, but only where quantity > 0.  I want it to requery automatically.

I can put a Refresh Data button on the second tab and make it update like that, but a user could forget to do that.  I want that second tab to requery based on changes in the first tab.

I tried putting something in TabCtl16.OnChange, but that did nothing.  I tried putting TabCtl16.[Shipping.requery, and that blew up, but I was also using a wrong subform name.

In the AfterUpdate event of the quantity field, I tried :

Forms![pl report header].Form![pl report final to ship].Requery

Me.Parent.Controls![pl report final to ship].Requery

and neither worked.

Has to be a way to do this.

TIA.

Thanks, David

• Edited by David_Ford Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:36 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:07 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

Simply, if the name of your Tab Control is MyTabControl and the subform you want to query is on the second tab, then try:

If Me.MyTabControl = 1 Then

• Marked as answer by David_Ford Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:23 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

One way is to use the Tab Control's Change event and use something like:

If Me.TabControlName = 1 Then 'assuming the second subform is on the second tab
        Me.SecondSubformName.Form.Requery
    End If

Hope it helps...

Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  This part doesn't make sense:

If Me.TabControlName = 1 Then

I probably need as exact a syntax as possible, given how easily this can go south.

Thanks, David

Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Hi David,

Simply, if the name of your Tab Control is MyTabControl and the subform you want to query is on the second tab, then try:

If Me.MyTabControl = 1 Then

• Marked as answer by David_Ford Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:23 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:52 PM
  • I ended up going with this, which is working.  I couldn't quite get the syntax to work with what you suggested, though it did point me in the right direction.  Thank you.  I didn't really matter if the user was moving from tab 1 to tab 2.  Just that tab 2 needed to be requeried.

Private Sub TabCtl16_Change()

Me.[pl report final to ship].Requery

End Sub

Thanks, David

Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:23 PM
  • Hi David. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.
    Friday, January 11, 2019 4:18 PM