Unable to launch SQL Server BIDS RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed VB Express Edition and SQL Express Adv and SQL express Toollkit. But I am unable  to launch BIDS(Business Intelligence Development Studio). When i click on the BIDS  icon it searches for devenv.exe.

pls guide.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:21 AM

Answers

• anik_sinha,

Make sure you're selecting things to be installed. For the Express Toolkit, everything is disabled by default, so you must actually select the items that you want to install. If you don't select BIDS from the feature list, it will not install.

SQL Server puts most things in Add/Remove programs under Microsoft SQL Server 2005, so that's where you need to go to repair or add new items to your installation, you won't find a separate entry for Express Advanced or Express Toolkit. One of the exceptions is Management Studio Express, which does create a separate entry.

While I've seen cases where BIDS fails to launch correctly because some components are missing, I've never seen a case where the BIDS item was not on the Start menu after being installed correctly. There is no need to continually install and uninstall, that is just wasting your time, use the Add/Remove Programs menu to re-launch setup and ensure that you check everything in the feature list.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:14 AM