GDF dll shows error after changing the appxmanifest?

Question

• We have an application similar to skydrive. When I try to get the age certification for this application by following the steps given in this link

Create GDF file . The dll is created separately but when  I add the .dll file into my main application and change the appxmanifest and compile it, it throws an error saying the appxmanifest is referencing a file which is not in the pay load. I don't get it where I am going wrong in the given procedure.

Monday, December 17, 2012 11:59 AM

All replies

• You are likely missing the critical step 5 under Creating a DLL project container for the GDF file

The linker property /NOENTRY must be set. Right-click on the DLL solution file (.sln) in Solution Explorer, and then select Properties. In the the left pane of the (DLL) Properties Pages window, expand Configuration Properties, and then Linker. Click on the Advanced item in the left pane, and set the value for No Entry Point to "Yes (/NOENTRY)".

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:12 PM
  • I have created the DLL by setting the value for No Entry point to "Yes(/NoEntry)" in the advanced options of the linker in configuration properties.But still it is showing the same error.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:37 AM
  • Retrace all those steps and make sure you didn't miss anything.

Also, you can verify the actual GDF DLL doesn't have any errors in it using the GDFTrace utility, although that doesn't seem to be the problem you are having.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for the timely reply Chuck. But I have retraced all the steps for more than 5 times but it is showing the same error. Please provide some information on how to use this GDFTrace utility , as I am unaware of using it.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:32 AM
  •  The GDF dll does not have any error in it. I am confused in this where I should specify the "GDFDll.dll" name or just "GDFDll" or "GDFDll.GDF" in the appx.manifest as in the link while adding the dll through visual studio it is mentioned to type the name of the dll. But at the later point in the manually adding the GDF it is stated as the "GDFDll.GDF" . please let me know what is the procedure to get the GDF file atleast. This is not helping in the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465153.aspx

this is making me confused. Please help..................

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:01 AM
  • The GDF is an XML text file. It can't be used directly in that form. It must be packaged inside a DLL as a resource to be usable by the system (this is because you can't code-sign a text file btw). That DLL is the name you are actually using in the VS Manifest entry. What's the full filename of the DLL you are building that contains your GDF data?

Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:47 PM
  • I have created the DLL by setting the value for No Entry point to "Yes(/NoEntry)" in the advanced options of the linker in configuration properties.But still it is showing the same error.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:23 PM