none
display my information inside outlook - revisited RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

This is a follow on from a previous post = https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/6815da27-1314-4084-aee2-cb2a08b9111c/display-my-information-inside-outlook?forum=outlookdev

I have now completed my outlook add-in and all is working as I wanted

BUT

the only issue I have is that the amount of information I want to show doesn't really fit that well on a custom task pane - it looks okay on my large resolution screen but certainly wouldn't fit if used on my laptop for example

What other options do I have?

1) I know I can make the custom task pane wider but then I lose space for emails/contacts etc - is there anyway to have a task pane that can be easily minimized (not closed) so it slides out of way and can then pop back when needed - bit like in image below

2) Or can I display info in another way such as have a new folder/link in my folder pane and when I click it the whole right hand reading pane shows my form/user control

3) Or can I show my user control instead of the outlook today screen

Any thoughts/ideas please

Darren Rose

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Darren,

1. Custom Task Panes have a min width. To get the job done you can use Windows API functions to get the expander working. Also you may consider using commercial components, for example:

2. You can display a home page instead. See How to programmatically create an Outlook home folder page in the Outlook Today style for more information. Also you may consider designing a form region which can be shown for a reading pane. See Walkthrough: Designing an Outlook Form Region .

3. See #2. Add-in Express provides the WebView layout which is based on the Home Page customizations. Both approaches require the NonDefaultStoreScript key set in the windows registry. See You cannot add a URL to the Address box on the Home Page tab in Outlook 2007 .

• Marked as answer by wingers Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Hi Eugene

Thanks for your reply

1) Thanks will look at perhaps just putting a button in corner of my task pane that switches width from narrow to wide to simulate showing/hiding the task pane as and when needed

2) & 3) Seems that to do a home page / outlook today page means using html etc - so probably a complete rethink of my current layout i.e. using listviews, combobox, buttons etc etc?

I quite like the idea of add-in-express to perhaps make it easier to achieve what I need:-

1) Would it be easy for me to migrate my existing add-in to one using add-in-express

2) Which add-in-express product would I need, I see there is "add in express of office and .net" and also "regions for outlook and vsto" - what is the difference, would both suit me or just one?

3) Can I use VSTO/VB or Add-in-express achieve something like below - i.e. so I add a folder in the left folder view and when I click it my form appears filling the whole reading area?

Darren Rose

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:14 PM
  • Darren,

Note, all the customizations can be done on your own without any commercial components. See Adjacent Windows In Outlook for more information.

The current forum is for Outlook specific questions. I'd suggest contacting Add-in Express directly. They (I think it will be Andrei) will answer all your questions. Don't forget to say hello from me ;-)

P.S. Yes, you can add Advanced Outlook forms to the existing VSTO solution if you use Add-in Express Regions for Microsoft Outlook and VSTO.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Thanks Eugene

Think I will avoid the adjacent windows idea as a) looks complicated and b) says it is not a supported method to extend outlook - so could cause be issues

Have emailed Andrei for his comments

Darren Rose

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:39 PM
  • I may agree that it is too comlicated and you can meet a lot of issue on your way. But Add-in Express advanced forms are built-in on that technology.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Spoke to Dmitry at Add-In Express as you suggested Eugene - and they have been very helpful indeed - the product they do "Regions for Outlook and VSTO" allows me to do all I need i.e. either a collapsible task pane or a webview to fill the whole pane

Thanks for your help

Darren Rose

Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:01 PM