difference between EWS managed api and EWS sdk RRS feed

• Question

• hey,

i've just started exchange development yesterday

so i'm a little confused about the difference between the EWS managed API and EWS sdk

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:42 AM

Answers

• SamuraiJack,

Great screen name!

The EWS SDK is centered around the XML that is sent over the wire between the client and server. We created XML specific information, such as the operation and XML element reference so that any client development technology that can send Web requests can use the Exchange Web Services. We also created an auto-generated client proxy reference for client proxies created using wsdl.exe because at the time the documentation was created, there wasn't an EWS Managed API. 

The EWS Managed API, and subsequent EWS Managed API SDK, were created because the auto-generated proxy client object model was rather unwieldy to use. The EWS Managed API is a much more intuitive client API for working with Exchange Web Services. I strongly encourage you to use the EWS Managed API whenever possible.

With that said, the EWS Managed API does not always implement the EWS features (such as ExportItems and UploadItems operations). In that case, you will want to use information from the EWS SDK to use those features.

Even if you use the EWS Managed API, there will be times that information in the EWS SDK will still be useful. When you encounter an error and want to understand what is occuring, I suggest you look at the actual XML being sent and received and compare against information in the EWS SDK.

I hope this helps.

With regards,

Michael | Microsoft Exchange SDK

The Exchange Development Forum Guide has useful information for using the Exchange Development Forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 14, 2011 6:52 PM