Delpoy project for Intranet application RRS feed

• Question

• User1434656350 posted

Hi all,

I have an ASP.Net Project which is going to use on INTRANET or single user can also use this application depends upon requirement.

Now what i want to know that How to create set up file which will be run on user 's computer.

when user use that setup file then what will be the prerequisite for that setup file.(eg: IIS Server,SQL services etc..)

Publish website and copy website will be not suitable because my ASP.NET application will be deployed at various places and i don't know that

which computer client is using.

I want to create such  setup file which can be downloaded from internet.

i think ultimately  i have to use websetup .

what will be the best way , and how can i create this setup file . Please help me..

Thanks

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:53 AM

Answers

• User796746907 posted
    Hello ravi,

It looks like you are right and need to use a Web Setup Project type.  When you build it, an executable setup file is generated that allows you to install your website on any machine you choose.  You create a new one under the same solution that contains your current website (Add->New Project -> Other Project Types -> Setup and Deployment -> Web Setup Project). Once added, right click the setup project node in the solution explorer and select Add-> Project Files to select your website content files.  These are the files that are to be built into the installer. When done customizing the setup program, building the setup project will create an executable installer.

For using the setup file, you just double click it on the machine you want to install the application on (just like any other setup.exe file.)  It will ask you how you want the Vritual Directory to be created, so before installing this setup project, you will need to make sure the computer is configured to run a .NET website.  So, IIS and asp.net will need to be there.

Hope this helps,
     -Alison
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2007 11:25 PM
  • User-125547262 posted

Is there any solution for NON-IIS computer. Can we add IIS with the help of our SETUP file  or any other solution for this--

By default there is nothing available  to my knowledge...The set up project may prompt you. However there is an option to add custom actions to your set up project-This can be used to check and install IIS . You may want to investigate that option and see if it works

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:21 AM

All replies

• User796746907 posted
    Hello ravi,

It looks like you are right and need to use a Web Setup Project type.  When you build it, an executable setup file is generated that allows you to install your website on any machine you choose.  You create a new one under the same solution that contains your current website (Add->New Project -> Other Project Types -> Setup and Deployment -> Web Setup Project). Once added, right click the setup project node in the solution explorer and select Add-> Project Files to select your website content files.  These are the files that are to be built into the installer. When done customizing the setup program, building the setup project will create an executable installer.

For using the setup file, you just double click it on the machine you want to install the application on (just like any other setup.exe file.)  It will ask you how you want the Vritual Directory to be created, so before installing this setup project, you will need to make sure the computer is configured to run a .NET website.  So, IIS and asp.net will need to be there.

Hope this helps,
     -Alison
    Friday, December 28, 2007 11:25 PM
  • User1434656350 posted

Thanks....

But what will happen if client machine is a non-IIS. 

Is there any solution for NON-IIS computer. Can we add IIS with the help of our SETUP file  or any other solution for this.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:50 AM
  • User-125547262 posted

Is there any solution for NON-IIS computer. Can we add IIS with the help of our SETUP file  or any other solution for this--

By default there is nothing available  to my knowledge...The set up project may prompt you. However there is an option to add custom actions to your set up project-This can be used to check and install IIS . You may want to investigate that option and see if it works

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:21 AM
  • User796746907 posted

As I mentioned earlier, you can customize your setup project.  In particular you can set conditions on how and/or when your setup project installs on the machine.  Jeev is right in that you can check if IIS exists on your machine before your web project gets installed.  To do this, you add a Launch Condition (Rt Click Setup Project in Solution Explorer -> View -> Launch Conditions).  You then see a tree view listing the requirements you want for the target machine.  Next, go to the Action menu -> Add Internet Information Services Launch Condition.  Now you see that a Search for IIS will occur when you install this setup project.  You can customize it further by editing those Condition properties and for example check for a specific version of IIS.  I believe if IIS isn't detected, an error message will pop up and the installation terminates.

I'm not sure if using your same web setup project to install IIS is possible, but I agree that another area to explore will be the Custom Actions window (Rt Click Setup Project in Solution Explorer -> View -> Custom Actions).  There, you can specify an Install action that your web setup project does not normally do by default.  I'll try and see if I can find a more definitive answer to this part.  Please let me know if you are still stuck or if you found a solution that worked.

-Alison

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:04 AM