none
Web Service to send messages RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

Can anyone please give me tips to creating a web service that would be able to send messages to an integration?

I'm kind of new to web services so any help or tips would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Regards.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Ndamu,

If you want to send messages only then you just need to create a client.  If you want to create a new integration then you would be describing creating a new client and service.  There are many ways of doing this with pros and cons and many opinions on what is best.

If you are only interested in creating a client then the existing service will give a good indication of what type of client to create (and maybe provide some documentation around this).

If you are creating a new service and client then I would consider how it is going to be hosted and who will consume it first.  There is a big difference between a integration running on a single machine, integration within an intranet and integration over the internet.

Cheers, Jeff

• Marked as answer by Ndamu Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Ndamu,

If you want to send messages only then you just need to create a client.  If you want to create a new integration then you would be describing creating a new client and service.  There are many ways of doing this with pros and cons and many opinions on what is best.

If you are only interested in creating a client then the existing service will give a good indication of what type of client to create (and maybe provide some documentation around this).

If you are creating a new service and client then I would consider how it is going to be hosted and who will consume it first.  There is a big difference between a integration running on a single machine, integration within an intranet and integration over the internet.

Cheers, Jeff

• Marked as answer by Ndamu Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:31 PM
  • in this case is to create a client-service and then in turn, Integration will call it....does that make sense ?

Thursday, October 13, 2016 11:03 AM
  • Great.  As you are writing both the client and service you have a lot of options.  It is pretty trivial to start and there are tons of example projects and blogs out there on how to create a new WCF integration.  The challenge is when you need to add security and make decisions on how to host the solution.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb412178(v=vs.110).aspx

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/dhananjaycoder/four-steps-to-create-first-wcf-service-for-beginners/

Cheers, Jeff

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:30 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Really appreciate your assistance, however i sort of misunderstood the task

the real task @ hand is:

create a web service that can receive messages from integration

so i have the wsdl, and i have been told that i will not be consuming it, now what's confusing me is that where do i actually begin with creating a service that will only receive messages, but without having to not consume the wsdl....? i hope this is more clear.

I have went through exercises to create web services and i have an understanding a bit of what is going on

Regards,

Ndamu

Friday, October 14, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Hi Ndamu,

Could you share us more information about integration?

>> create a web service that can receive messages from integration

Could you custom integration? Based on your description, it seems you already have a client, if so, could you consume the new web service from your client? As my understanding, for sending and receiving message, it will have service side and client side. Client side sends message and service side retrieve message. You integration need to know where to send the message which is the address of your new service. It seems you already have a client side to send message which is integration, and you want to create a service side. If so, I think you could implement the web service from suggestion of Jeff, and then consume it from your integration.

>> so i have the wsdl, and i have been told that i will not be consuming it

What do you mean by this? What is this wsdl? Is it wsdl for integration? If you want to retrieve message from integration, I think the wsdl of integration is helpless. If you want to send message to integration, you could try this wsdl.

If I misunderstood you, please feel free to let me know, and share us more information about your situation.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 17, 2016 1:58 AM