none
Missing DVD Driver on Installation RRS feed

• Question

•  

I downloaded and burned a the DVD for Windows Server 2008 Datacenter, Enterprise and Standard without Hyper-V (x64) - DVD (English).

The comptuer boots to it (no other OS installed) and begins the installation.  The installation will prompt for a DVD Driver.

The message is "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.  Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step"

There isn’t a special driver.  Another computer running Server 2008 has the same device and is using a Microsoft signed driver.

The Drive is a Samsung SH-S202N DVD Writer.

Samsung doesn't have any driver available for download, probably because it is natively supported by Windows.

Another Windows 2008 Server using the same device shows it is using cdrom.sys provided by Microsoft, Driver Date 6/21/2006, Driver Version 6.0.6001.18000

I don't have a floppy or USB flash.  I can burn files to a CD or DVD however.

How can I continue the installation?

Friday, December 12, 2008 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,
            This Forum is dedicated to Windows server 2008 Application compatibility and application logo certification. Hence, you may post your query in one of the Technet forums for Windows server 2008. I recommend you to post it in the setup team.

Ive found that a number of people have the same issue with Windows Server 2008. Windows Server 2008 does not include all the device drivers as it has no. of security considerations. I suggest you the following sites for more information on your issue:

(1) Related issues in Setup Forum
    (2) Related Thread

Regards,
    Avinash
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:22 PM