none
DreamSpark authentication with AAD RRS feed

• Question

Hi guys - thanks for the response. My issue is a simple one. We have an AzureAD which is linked/synced to our onsite AD. It is also linked via ADFS for SSO authentication. So far so good. It works well and we are about to SSO into services like Office 365 and Google Docs with the one username/password combo (taken from our onside AD). So we come to DreamSpark - the software for students offering that Microsoft have in place. When a user wants to access this they have to create an account. Sometimes they have to request an account and prove they are a student at an establishment/school/university. This means a second account when in theory they could simply validate their credentials via ADFS/AzureAD - instead of having an Admin verify their details. Surely this is an option? Surely if they can authenticate against an on-side AD and/or an Azure AD then this should be enough to validate they are part of an establishmend and such allowed access to DreamSpark? Dreamspark support cannot see the question and as such are not very good at offering the help. Thank you.

Best,

@AzureSupport

Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:16 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I understand that you are looking for authentication methods available in DreamSpark. Since this is a specific query for the service offering, the DreamSpark support would ideally be the the best to advise you on the same.

Also, you mention that you have tried contacting them. However, I would suggest you reach out to the DreamSpark Regional Service Centers for assistance.

Regards,

Neelesh

Saturday, January 16, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Hi Gareth,

I am sorry to hear that you have had a hard time getting the answer to your question; let me see if i can clear this up for you.

In essence the Dreamspark Program enables students to gain access to software and services; It is primarily focused at the education sector as I am sure you are aware; it's very much like the MSDN Program if you are familier with that program you will also find that you have to use a 'Microsoft Account' Live ID (Consumer Account) when redeeming or purchasing the program overall benefit.

Dreamspark is the same in that sense; students are required to sign up / sign in using a 'Microsoft Account Live ID (Consumer Account) and this is because at this moment Dreamspark as well as many other services currently do not support Work or School Account Authentication (Azure AD); It is possible to link some of the underlying benefits such as the Microsoft Azure Subscription Credit / Benefit to a Work or School Account & then redeem that benefit against such an account but the overal Dreamspark Program only supports Microsoft Accounts (LiveID) at this moment in time.

Once your students have signed up using such an account; they then have 5 ways in which they can verify they are entitled to the dreamspark program benefits.

• Use School E-Mail Address (someone@student.school.sch.uk) & Verify using the E-mail Verification Instructions
    • School Login (Shibboleth)
    • International Student Identity Card
    • Dreamspark Verification Code
    • Upload School Enrollment Document

More Info can be found here: https://www.dreamspark.com/Support/FAQ/Default.aspx#FAQ

I hope that helps clear things up; we are committed to enabling such functionallity where by you can sign-up using work or school accounts in the future and that goes for all programs that lack this ability to sign-in using work or school accounts (Azure AD) today.

Let me know if you have any further questions, or if i can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

James.

Senior Escalation Engineer EEE-Dev | Azure AD Serviceability | Azure AD Identity and Access Management | blog: http://www.edutech.me.uk

Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Hi Gareth

I would suggest you choose to implement A DreamSpark Store with the  Electronic License Management System.

(ELMS) for DreamSpark is an electronic software distribution solution included in every DreamSpark subscription at no additional cost. ELMS for DreamSpark provides a Webstore for the easy management and distribution of software licenses to students, faculty and staff, and everything you need to outfit your computer labs. Watch a short introductory video for a quick overview.

2 easy steps to getting ELMS configured at your institution

1. Complete the Request Form to receive your customized ELMS for DreamSpark Webstore. Note that you need to first complete the enrollment process and receive your subscriber ID number before you can submit this request.
    Our partner Kivuto will set up your ELMS Webstore once they verify that your institution has an active subscription. When the setup is complete, you will receive an e-mail with the URL to your ELMS Webstore and your administrative login information. Setup can take about five business days.

2. Review the Quick Start Guide to learn how to set up your ELMS for DreamSpark Webstores, and provide user access to your students and faculty in a few easy steps. Your ELMS Webstore is a hosted and automated solution that streamlines all administrative tasks associated with software distribution, including user verification, policy enforcement, software delivery, reporting and more through an easy-to-use interface. ELMS provides:

What are the benefits of having a ELMS Store

Access: A 24/7 online store accessible only by you and your students, faculty and staff.

Customization: Ability to configure the look and feel of your DreamSpark Webstore to your department or school.

Authentication: Ability to define end-user verification types including user import and single sign-on (SSO) methods.

Standard Integrated User Verification (IUV) allows you to set up a SSO system between your organization's existing user authentication system such as LDAP/Active Directory and an ELMS Webstore.

ELMS supports the use of Shibboleth. Shibboleth is an industry standard technology for web SSO across or within organizational boundaries, commonly called Federated Identity Programs.

Ability to create accounts and deploy software to students regardless of whether the institution provides them school-issued email addresses.

Software product key management and distribution.

Secure electronic and/or physical software delivery: Direct or Campus-hosted downloads, usable also behind institution firewalls.

Real-time reporting: access to comprehensive on-demand reports.

Compliance: ELMS complies with all Microsoft and school-specific requirements.

Flexibility: Ability to configure your product catalogues to users under different agreements.

ELMS Resources:

Quick Start Guide
    DreamSpark Quick Start Video
    Standard Integrated User Verification (IUV) Guide
    Standard Integrated User Verification (IUV) Video
    Shibboleth Setup Guide
    SDM Reference Guide

Monday, January 18, 2016 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post.

I understand that you are looking for authentication methods available in DreamSpark. Since this is a specific query for the service offering, the DreamSpark support would ideally be the the best to advise you on the same.

Also, you mention that you have tried contacting them. However, I would suggest you reach out to the DreamSpark Regional Service Centers for assistance.

Regards,

Neelesh

Saturday, January 16, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Hi Neelesh,

Thank you for getting in touch. Everything you have advised has been tried which is why I am now speaking with the Azure team. The DreamSpark Support didn't know what I wanted to achieve.

I do not understand why this is so difficult to resolve.

Gareth

Sunday, January 17, 2016 7:25 PM
  • Hi Gareth,

I am sorry to hear that you have had a hard time getting the answer to your question; let me see if i can clear this up for you.

In essence the Dreamspark Program enables students to gain access to software and services; It is primarily focused at the education sector as I am sure you are aware; it's very much like the MSDN Program if you are familier with that program you will also find that you have to use a 'Microsoft Account' Live ID (Consumer Account) when redeeming or purchasing the program overall benefit.

Dreamspark is the same in that sense; students are required to sign up / sign in using a 'Microsoft Account Live ID (Consumer Account) and this is because at this moment Dreamspark as well as many other services currently do not support Work or School Account Authentication (Azure AD); It is possible to link some of the underlying benefits such as the Microsoft Azure Subscription Credit / Benefit to a Work or School Account & then redeem that benefit against such an account but the overal Dreamspark Program only supports Microsoft Accounts (LiveID) at this moment in time.

Once your students have signed up using such an account; they then have 5 ways in which they can verify they are entitled to the dreamspark program benefits.

• Use School E-Mail Address (someone@student.school.sch.uk) & Verify using the E-mail Verification Instructions
    • School Login (Shibboleth)
    • International Student Identity Card
    • Dreamspark Verification Code
    • Upload School Enrollment Document

More Info can be found here: https://www.dreamspark.com/Support/FAQ/Default.aspx#FAQ

I hope that helps clear things up; we are committed to enabling such functionallity where by you can sign-up using work or school accounts in the future and that goes for all programs that lack this ability to sign-in using work or school accounts (Azure AD) today.

Let me know if you have any further questions, or if i can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

James.

Senior Escalation Engineer EEE-Dev | Azure AD Serviceability | Azure AD Identity and Access Management | blog: http://www.edutech.me.uk

Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:28 PM
  • Hi Gareth

I would suggest you choose to implement A DreamSpark Store with the  Electronic License Management System.

(ELMS) for DreamSpark is an electronic software distribution solution included in every DreamSpark subscription at no additional cost. ELMS for DreamSpark provides a Webstore for the easy management and distribution of software licenses to students, faculty and staff, and everything you need to outfit your computer labs. Watch a short introductory video for a quick overview.

2 easy steps to getting ELMS configured at your institution

1. Complete the Request Form to receive your customized ELMS for DreamSpark Webstore. Note that you need to first complete the enrollment process and receive your subscriber ID number before you can submit this request.
    Our partner Kivuto will set up your ELMS Webstore once they verify that your institution has an active subscription. When the setup is complete, you will receive an e-mail with the URL to your ELMS Webstore and your administrative login information. Setup can take about five business days.

2. Review the Quick Start Guide to learn how to set up your ELMS for DreamSpark Webstores, and provide user access to your students and faculty in a few easy steps. Your ELMS Webstore is a hosted and automated solution that streamlines all administrative tasks associated with software distribution, including user verification, policy enforcement, software delivery, reporting and more through an easy-to-use interface. ELMS provides:

What are the benefits of having a ELMS Store

Access: A 24/7 online store accessible only by you and your students, faculty and staff.

Customization: Ability to configure the look and feel of your DreamSpark Webstore to your department or school.

Authentication: Ability to define end-user verification types including user import and single sign-on (SSO) methods.

Standard Integrated User Verification (IUV) allows you to set up a SSO system between your organization's existing user authentication system such as LDAP/Active Directory and an ELMS Webstore.

ELMS supports the use of Shibboleth. Shibboleth is an industry standard technology for web SSO across or within organizational boundaries, commonly called Federated Identity Programs.

Ability to create accounts and deploy software to students regardless of whether the institution provides them school-issued email addresses.

Software product key management and distribution.

Secure electronic and/or physical software delivery: Direct or Campus-hosted downloads, usable also behind institution firewalls.

Real-time reporting: access to comprehensive on-demand reports.

Compliance: ELMS complies with all Microsoft and school-specific requirements.

Flexibility: Ability to configure your product catalogues to users under different agreements.

ELMS Resources:

Quick Start Guide
    DreamSpark Quick Start Video
    Standard Integrated User Verification (IUV) Guide
    Standard Integrated User Verification (IUV) Video
    Shibboleth Setup Guide
    SDM Reference Guide

Monday, January 18, 2016 3:20 PM