Employee Training and Scheduling Template Manager Approval RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone!

I have used this forum many times to find solutions to questions that I had, but now have one that I cannot find a solution for. I apologize in advance if the solution is somewhere and I have just overlooked it. I do know the general rule of thumb for forums of using the SEARCH capability, just had no luck, haha.

Anyways, here is the situation...

First off, We are using Sharepoint 2007 and Designer 2007.

I was tasked with creating a Training site. The requirements of the site were to be able to create new classes, make the calendar color-coded, limit seat-availability, make a formal registration process to track who is registered for the class, and some other steps as well. I was fortunate enough to find the Employee Training Scheduling and Materials site template. I have made a bunch of edits to that template to fix the problem of not updating seats after unregistration, limit the ability to edit current courses by potential attendees (via part one, two, and three of this post: https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/itpro/Pages/Employee-Training-and-Scheduling-Template-a-couple-fixes-Part-3.aspx), and some others like color coding the calender which was pretty easy.

This is where I am having issues...

• I have been asked to make the attendees get approval prior to actually registering them for the course. (ie. They click to register and an email is sent to their manager requesting the manager to approve/deny the request.)
    • After the request is approved or denied, the registration finishes and the attendee is now shown as a registrant for the course.

That is the primary issue. Now, what I have done is create a custom list that has all employees with their manager listed. It is a simple list with two columns: Employee and Manager (both are Person or Group).

The way I have been trying to approach it is through the workflow. When a new item is added to the Registrations list, I want the workflow to take the Created By and look into the list I created called "Management". The "Registrations:Created By" is the same as "Management:Employee". Using "Management:Employee", find the corresponding "Management:Manager" field.

So, for example:

John Doe sees a training course he is interested in. He clicks the button to register for the course. The existing workflow currently adds the user to the Registrations list. I need to go to the Management List, find John Doe's manager, Sallie Sue, and send her an email stating that John Doe is trying to register for a course. Sallie Sue then approves or denies the request. The workflow then continues on it's merry way like it normally would and shows John Doe as registered for the class.

I know that I have a slight conflict in my methodology when I say that I don't want attendees officially registered for the course until approved, but also mention using the Registrations:Created By to look into the Management list because, if I understand correctly, they would already be technically registered for the course at that point. I just don't know how else I can reference that Management list to gather the name of the manager for the attendee.

I have probably confused the daylights out of everyone reading this so I apologize. The basic jist of everything is that I need to send an email to the person who is trying to register for a class's manager. Again, I am using the Emoloyee Training and Scheduling Template as a base for this site.

Thank you so much for trying to follow me through this! I am supposed to be presenting what I have to upper management in 24 hrs, so I'm really hoping someone sees this quickly and can help me out. Sorry for the tight timeline!

Damien Wandell

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:09 PM

Answers

• The thing that strikes me here is the "Pause Until ..." action.  Or possibly the "Output to variable" actions here might be useful.

I've tried (and failed) to find a list of SharePoint 2007 actions, so I'm going entirely from memory but might you be able to add a step to the email manager phase.

So, something like this might work

If User submits Training Request
       Email the Line Manager and
       GetfeedbackFromUser (Store as VariableName)
       Pause Workflow

Step 2

If VariableName is equal to Yes
      Email User
      And create New entry in Training List
      End Workflow
    Else If
     VariableName is equal to No
    Email User (CC Usermanager)

Does that make sense?

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:03 PM
    Answerer