none
When will we have an Access runtime 2016 that actually installs and works? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have Office 365 and built a small, simple database in Access. I'm running on Windows 10.

I downloaded Access runtime x64, but it refuses to install. I've seen that others have the same problem, so I won't regurgitate all that they've said.

Please do NOT recommend installing the 2013 version, which I suppose is the x86. That wouldn't install either.

I'm neither a guru nor a geek, so I don't have several computers and several versions of Office and Windows to play with. Let's stay focused on Access 2016.

Does Microsoft have any plans to release a runtime module that works with Access 2016 in the near future?

• Changed type David_JunFeng Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:37 AM more suitable for discussion type
    Friday, March 11, 2016 1:46 AM

All replies

• I feel your pain. Several of my customers are suffering as well.

There are now two versions of Office, depending on how they were installed. If the traditional way, we call that an MSI install. If the new Office 365 way, we call that CTR for Click-to-Run.

The two don't play nice together. There only is an MSI version of 2016 runtime at this time. So if you're having problems installing it, I would assume you have the CTR version of Office.

What can you do?

1. Complain to MSFT that it's WELL PAST DUE to release A2016-CTR.
    2. Install A2013 Runtime. Apparently that does not work for you either. I have seen it work on a clean machine.
    3. Upgrade to a version of Office-CTR that includes Access.
    4. Install A2016-MSI on a virtual machine on the machine.
    5. Install Office 2016 Volume License edition (yes I know - my head would be spinning too) or perhaps only A2016-MSI on a Terminal Server and have users run sessions there, perhaps using Remote App.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Friday, March 11, 2016 3:14 AM