Show Appended Text to Multiline Text Field in Joined Data View RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on configuring a joined data view in SharePoint Designer 2007 and I've run into a snag. One of the columns in my data view is a multiline text field with "Append Changes to Existing Text" enabled. I'd like to display all the entries to this column instead of just the most recent. A signficiant amount of googling lead me to using "AppendOnlyHistory" as below:

<SharePoint:AppendOnlyHistory FieldName="Action Log" runat="server" ControlMode="Display" ItemId="{@ID}"/>

I've tried both the XPath name (Action_x0020_Log) and the friendly name, as above. I've also pasted the same code into a data view using the data source that the "Action Log" column is in that wasn't joined, and it worked fine, so it's definitely something to do with the join.

The error message I receive is: "An unhandled exception has occured. Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object."

Does anyone know how to tweak this code for use in a joined data view?

Thursday, September 8, 2011 1:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Meri,

That AppendOnlyHistory seems to only work for one list presenting in the date view web wart, if join multiple lists, the code line “AppendOnlyHistory” will make an error.

You can create a new data view web part for that one list data source, and display the column (Append Changes to Existing Text) with append history.

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Meri,

That AppendOnlyHistory seems to only work for one list presenting in the date view web wart, if join multiple lists, the code line “AppendOnlyHistory” will make an error.

You can create a new data view web part for that one list data source, and display the column (Append Changes to Existing Text) with append history.

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:51 AM
  • I know this is old topic but thought I would provide an alternative answer.

if you have a dataview with JOINED lists you can show the AppendOnlyHistory by providing the List GUID in the control.

<SharePoint:AppendOnlyHistory ListId="<GUID id of list>" FieldName="Action Log" runat="server" ControlMode="Display" ItemId="{@ID}"/>

-B.J. Davis

Friday, March 1, 2013 1:31 PM