MySql DB Manager provider RRS feed

• Question

• User-1341446551 posted

We do not have built-in support for MySql but does anyone know of a provider for the DB Manager???

Edit: do we have a hotkey available for Execute! for an SQL query?

Monday, April 13, 2009 3:18 AM

All replies

• User1912363967 posted

Thats a good question. Let me find out and get back to you.

Monday, April 13, 2009 7:14 PM
  • User-1704332251 posted

At this time, I do not believe that there are any MySQL providers for DB Manager. I will post back on the forum if/when I hear of one.

As to executing a query, you can hit the F5 key in the query editor to get the results back. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:30 PM
  • User-198416459 posted

Hi:

I had the same problem too...........

But I somehow got access to the following tool, which is even recommended by the Microsoft experts, try it. But the problem is that, I am unable to configure it. So, if anybody succeeds, then please do post back.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html

Monday, May 4, 2009 11:53 AM
  • User1301785587 posted

From the IIS database homepage, it mention that it does support other database and I paste this quote from the IIS's page on database manager.  I even remember from the one of the video on IIS that you can add custom database into database manager.  if someone found a sample connection string for mysql connection, please forward to here.

http://www.iis.net/extensions/DatabaseManager

IIS Database Manager provides native support for SQL Server and is also fully extensible for developers to add support for other database systems.

Add custom database providers to extend functionality

IIS Database Manager has an extensible architecture that allows new database types to be added. The provider model allows administrators to implement and register a new database provider on the server to manage that database. Users can leverage IIS Manager for administration of the database connections regardless of the database to which you want to connect.

Monday, May 25, 2009 5:29 PM
  • User973888104 posted

Here is an example adding custom provider which is what you would need to do to plug into other databases  not current supported.

The following  is an example from Beta that shows how to do this with SQL ..  

http://blogs.msdn.com/andrewbi/archive/2008/05/21/writing-a-databaseprovider.aspx

Note that the Assembly to reference is now :  Microsoft.Web.Managment.DatabaseManager

And in the method  GetServerTypes  the ID property no longer exists this could be replaced with Tag  .. or  you could rewite the implementation of this as you wish to provide datatype information.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 1:16 PM
  • User-1341446551 posted

IIS DBManager v1 has MySQL DB provider ... but is there an article on how to connect to a Windows 7 machine running IIS and MySQL...

I have looked around and there doesnt seem to be one...  

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:12 AM
  • User973888104 posted

Hi ma_khan,

I dont believe anything has been published on this.Here are the steps on how to create  a connection. If there are other details you are looking for please let us know. 

1. Open IIS Manager
    2. Select the Server in the Connections Tree View
    3. Select Database Manager User Interface and click Open Feature.
    4. Click the Add Connection icon in the top left.
    5. Under Database provider select:  MySql5.x,6.x(MySql.Data.MySqlClient)
    6. In the Add Connection dialog, enter Connection name, Server, Database, UId, and Pwd and Port.The following is an example of the field entries for  connecting to the local instance of mySql

Server: localhost
    Database: <Your DB Name>
    UID:root     ( root is the default Admin account for MySQL)
    Pwd: <PWD for root account>
    Port:3306   ( Default Port for MySQL)

thanks

Richard

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:13 PM
  • User-1341446551 posted

Hi Richard,

Your answer looks pretty simple except for the fact that I dont ever get the 5th point... Meaning I never get the MySql.Data.MySqlClient option... I am pretty sure I have DBManager v1..

Here's the snippet from Administration.config:

<add name="DBManager" type="Microsoft.Web.Management.DatabaseManager.DBManagerModuleProvider, Microsoft.Web.Management.DatabaseManager, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />

<system.webServer>
                <management>
                    <dbManager>
                        <DBProviders>
                            <provider name="SQL Server 2005/2008" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" type="Microsoft.Web.Management.DatabaseManager.SqlDatabase.SqlDatabaseProvider, Microsoft.Web.Management.DatabaseManager.SqlDatabase, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
                            <provider name="MySql 5.x, 6.x" providerName="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" type="Microsoft.Web.Management.DatabaseManager.MySqlDatabase.MySqlDatabaseProvider, Microsoft.Web.Management.DatabaseManager.MySqlDatabase, Version=1.0.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
                        </DBProviders>
                    </dbManager>
                </management>
            </system.webServer>

But I never see the 2nd provider as an option in any of my sites... I am using Windows 7 32-bit 

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:10 PM
  • User973888104 posted

Your provider setup looks correct here.   Are you seeing any errors when you open the Database Manager  and click Add connection ?

Are there any errors in the applicaiton event log ?

Can you successfully connect to SQL using the SQL provider ?

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:04 PM
  • User-1341446551 posted

No errors with DB manager at any point in time... No errors in the Event logs... I will check the connection with MS SQL today...

Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:39 AM
  • User973888104 posted
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P>Thats weird, I know from testing with custom providers  I would get an error if the provider failed to load.   When your testing you can try adding the following.  We expect this to fail , but it will at least validate are even trying to load the providers. </O:P><O:P> </O:P><O:P><provider name=”Test” type=”Test.Test, Test,Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d6c672ae03e4c650" /> </O:P>
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:18 AM
  • User-47214744 posted

Do you know if MySQL Connector is installed and setup in your machine?

Could you look in machine.config (%windir%\microsoft.net\framework (or framework64 if 64-bit)\v2.0.50727\config\) and see if you have the dbProviderFactory for

MySql.Data.MySqlClient

Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:34 PM
  • User-1341446551 posted

Richard,

I get an error as soon as I put the code into administartion.config file... well that's expected... 

Carlos,

I open machine.config file and don't find the dbProviderFactory text in the whole file... 

So as I see it DB Manager is working somehow but there seems to be a problem with one of the providers?? I will check with MS SQL later tonight just to be sure on that as well.. 

Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:06 PM
  • User-47214744 posted

Could you try installing MySQL connector (Specifcally the ADO.NET Driver for MySQL):

http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/

Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:18 PM
  • User-1341446551 posted

Carlos & Richard,

It was the Connector that was missing... once that is in place we are good to go...

But what I want to know is... Should the connector have been there during IIS DB manger or MySql installation ???

Or is it that we just needed to know that the connector should be there to get the IIS DB manager working with MySql... 

Thanks anyways... the tool's awesome BTW... :)

Wrote an article about configuring it at http://www.iisworkstation.com/2009/10/how-to-configure-mysql-to-work-with-iis.html

Friday, October 2, 2009 9:37 AM
  • User973888104 posted

Hi Ma_Khan

Good to here its working.  The connector is not installed as part of the DB manager but we are looking at including  this an associated or dependency install when Web Platform Installer is used.  We will also look into other ways to handle this condtition so users are informed when in this state. 

Thanks you very much for reporting this.

Richard

Friday, October 2, 2009 10:36 AM
  • User-1420361370 posted
    I got this same problem, I read your article, but it is "chinese" to me... Can you say it in simpler words?
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:52 PM
  • User-1672167363 posted

Hello,

Yes It could be a mystery language for the current topic if you have not been using MySQL Connectors.

This is a dated discussion for "MySQL Net Connector" much has changed since this thread was started.

Question what kind of Programming or Database Access do you require?

I suggest that you start a new thread with what Programming or Data Base access requirements are

then answers that are more up to date can be provided.

Martin

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:19 PM
  • User-1420361370 posted
    I need to use a Classic ASP app with a MySQL DB. I already have IIS with ASP and PHP, also MySQL seems to be working. I have "MyPHPAdmin" working, it manages my MySQL DB's (I can import, export, browse, etc) The Classic ASP app with an ACCESS DB works fine, but when I try to use it with the MySQL DB, it simply does not sees the DB. The error is: Error Number >> -2147467259 Error Source >> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers Error Description [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified I opened a new tread to see if someone comes to my rescue: http://forums.iis.net/t/1179119.aspx
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:36 AM