Windows Remote Assistance not working on multiple machines in the new domain

Question

• We are in the process of migrating machines from the 2003 to 2008 domain.
    As part of the migration we have got our helpdesk staff to use the Windows Remote Assistance to remote control user machines (We had been using SMS Remote tools in the previous domain).

We have setup a Windows 2008 R2 server to act as Remote App server which users connect to through a web link to use Windows Remote Assistance using msra/offerra to remote into users' computers.

We have created  Global Group with all the user names of the helpdesk staff. This Global Groups is linked to a GPO which in turn is linked to the new domain.

The issue is we are unable to establish windows remote assistance to many machines and get the following error message

"Your Office to help could not be sent
    Check the following
    Do you have the correct permissions on the remote computer?
    Is the remote computer turned on and is it connected to the network
    is there a network problem"

The issue is, even though I've made sure that all the machines get the correct GPO which assigns all the Helpdesk staff as Remote Desktop Helpers, there are quite a lot of the machines in the new domain that we cant remote control to using the Windows Remote Assistance.

I have checked pinging the relevant computers from the server and it is pinging fine. Also DNS name resolution is also not an issue.

Windows Firewall is disabled on all the computers by GPO.

I have checked a computer which I am not able to remote to using the windows remote assistance for all the relevant settings within Component Services and it all seems to be fine.

There are 2 machines on this location that we can remote to on which I've checked the component services settings given in link provided by serialband they dont seem to be any different to the machines that I can remote to.

Since these machines are in the same physical location, firewall issues can be ruled out.
    Hence not sure what is the reason for not being able to remote control to majority of the machines in the new domain using windows remote assistance.

Has anyone come across this issue?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:15 PM

Answers

• On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:15:41 +0000, itsted wrote:

We are in the process of migrating machines from the 2003 to 2008 domain.

You're in the wrong forum. This forum is for discussions around the
    Developer Preview of Windows 8 only.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    I came, I saw, I deleted all your files.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:50 PM

All replies

• 98% of the machine we are trying to connect to are Windows XP SP3 machines and the rest are Windows 7.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:18 PM
  • I've just realized that the Remote Application server is showing the following error within Diagnostics

"No programs on RD Session Host Server Servername are configured to display in RD Web Access. Verify the program settings on that server"

Also in the System Logs of this server i can see numerous messages as given below

"DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer PC12345 using any of the configured protocols"

Do these error messages have anything to do with the fact that I am unable to remote to these machines?
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:22 PM
  • On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:15:41 +0000, itsted wrote:

We are in the process of migrating machines from the 2003 to 2008 domain.

You're in the wrong forum. This forum is for discussions around the
    Developer Preview of Windows 8 only.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    I came, I saw, I deleted all your files.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know Paul.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:13 PM