none
How many Visual studio license can i get from MSDN subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an action pack design and  development subscription.I used my technical Id to activate my MSDN. Microsoft partner network site says that there will be 3 MSDN Subscription for an action pack development subscription .

*Does that mean only three employee of our organization can use the Visual studio? or One person will get three licenses for visual studio?

*I explored the MSDN site ,MSDN says the  key type  of Visual studio is a  Static Activation Key.What is  Static Activation Key?

*Also can i use visual studio 2010 product key to VS 2008?Because MSDN subscription does not provides the visual studio 2008.

Ultimately i  am little confusing !Can any one please give solutions for my confusion?

Monday, June 11, 2012 7:08 PM

Answers

• >> Microsoft partner network site says that there will be 3 MSDN Subscription for an action pack development subscription .

Correct.  The MAPS Design and Development subscription provides three MSDN subscriptions in addition to other licenses and benefits from the partner network.

>> Does that mean only three employee of our organization can use the Visual studio? or One person will get three licenses for visual studio?

Your first statement is correct.  You have three MSDN Subscriptions and each subscription includes Visual Studio 2010 Professional.  You can assign the subscriptions to a maximum of three technical contacts through the partner portal.  The following thread has instructions:

MSDN Subscriptions are licensed on a per-user basis and cannot be shared.  You will need to acquire other subscriptions or individual licenses if you have more than three users who need Visual Studio. TIPS: Be sure to look into volume licensing before buying the licenses at retail prices -- discounts start with as as low as five licenses.  Also, you may want to see if your company can qualify for a silver competency.  This will give you five premium subscriptions.  A premium subscription has more benefits than a MAPS subscription and also include VS2008.

(I don't know your region so you may need to find the appropriate competencies page on your regional version of the portal)

>> I explored the MSDN site ,MSDN says the  key type  of Visual studio is a  Static Activation Key.What is  Static Activation Key?

A static activation key is required for installation but does not require formal activation and does not have activation limitations.  You may re-use the key as many times as you need under the same per-user license (e.g., you can re-install the product as often as you need for yourself).

This is unrelated to licensing and does not imply the key can be shared across different users.  It means that the licensed user is not restricted to typical activation limits.  For more information on key types:

>> Also can i use visual studio 2010 product key to VS 2008?Because MSDN subscription does not provides the visual studio 2008.

Unfortunately No. You cannot use a VS2010 product key with VS2008, and VS2008 is not included with a MAPS Design and Development Subscription.  You will need to acquire the VS2008 licenses separately. 

>> Ultimately i  am little confusing !Can any one please give solutions for my confusion?

The following forum is a good starting point for MAPS questions:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnermapspgm/threads

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• >> Microsoft partner network site says that there will be 3 MSDN Subscription for an action pack development subscription .

Correct.  The MAPS Design and Development subscription provides three MSDN subscriptions in addition to other licenses and benefits from the partner network.

>> Does that mean only three employee of our organization can use the Visual studio? or One person will get three licenses for visual studio?

Your first statement is correct.  You have three MSDN Subscriptions and each subscription includes Visual Studio 2010 Professional.  You can assign the subscriptions to a maximum of three technical contacts through the partner portal.  The following thread has instructions:

MSDN Subscriptions are licensed on a per-user basis and cannot be shared.  You will need to acquire other subscriptions or individual licenses if you have more than three users who need Visual Studio. TIPS: Be sure to look into volume licensing before buying the licenses at retail prices -- discounts start with as as low as five licenses.  Also, you may want to see if your company can qualify for a silver competency.  This will give you five premium subscriptions.  A premium subscription has more benefits than a MAPS subscription and also include VS2008.

(I don't know your region so you may need to find the appropriate competencies page on your regional version of the portal)

>> I explored the MSDN site ,MSDN says the  key type  of Visual studio is a  Static Activation Key.What is  Static Activation Key?

A static activation key is required for installation but does not require formal activation and does not have activation limitations.  You may re-use the key as many times as you need under the same per-user license (e.g., you can re-install the product as often as you need for yourself).

This is unrelated to licensing and does not imply the key can be shared across different users.  It means that the licensed user is not restricted to typical activation limits.  For more information on key types:

>> Also can i use visual studio 2010 product key to VS 2008?Because MSDN subscription does not provides the visual studio 2008.

Unfortunately No. You cannot use a VS2010 product key with VS2008, and VS2008 is not included with a MAPS Design and Development Subscription.  You will need to acquire the VS2008 licenses separately. 

>> Ultimately i  am little confusing !Can any one please give solutions for my confusion?

The following forum is a good starting point for MAPS questions:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnermapspgm/threads

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Thank you very much...It is a great answer to understand the Microsoft licenses.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:45 PM
  • "Downgrade Rights
    Downgrade rights, the ability to use an earlier version of the product that you’ve licensed in place of the licensed version, are generally irrelevant with MSDN subscriptions. MSDN subscribers already have access to prior software versions—many dating back more than a decade—which they are licensed to use simultaneously with the current version, and both the current and past versions of the software can be used on as many devices as needed. However, for Visual Studio individual development tools without MSDN—where the software included is limited to a specific version of Visual Studio—downgrade rights can provide the ability to use a prior version of that Visual Studio product."

@Dave & @Mike,

Above is clause from "Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2010 and MSDN® Licensing White Paper Published April 2012"

As per this clause I think Mr. Thabo Sivagurunathan is entitled to use any prior version of VS2010. Please comment...

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Sorry but you're incorrect about that MMIND.   The quote you found explains what is a feature of MSDN subscriptions, which is that they contain previous versions of many different Microsoft products.  This means, per the context of the quote you found, that specific downgrade rights are not included in MSDN because it would be irrelevant because for many products, the previous version of the product is already available in MSDN.

Another way to put this more generally is that MSDN Subscriptions license the use of all of the products contained in the subscription, but do not include downgrade rights.   For Mr. Sivagurunathan, unfortunately VS 2008 is not included in his subscription, and so he does not have rights to use it.

At least, thats my interpretation of the situation.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Hey Mike,

Is there any partnership or program which gives Visual studio 20xx and MSDN subscription for developing and testing the applcations for other clients on fee. ?

ANother way to ask the same question.

What do we get as part of custom software development competencies ? if the VS 2012 premiuum with MSDN that comes as part of the gold partnership, can only be used for developing internal apps or products for our own selling. But not doing any development  or maintenance projects for other clients  ?

Am i reading the programs right. ? to me it did not make sense that there is nothing free from MS for developers who do projects for other clients. i could not locate any thing to this need in MS site.

Is there a assumption that for web dev or app dev competencies, the VS 20xx with MSDN IUR that comes with partner program is meant to be used by developers for doing projects of external clients ?

Please help.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:34 PM
  • some licensing information about the use-rights under various MSDN subscriptions is here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13350

MPN benefits have different use-rights, eg MAPS:
    https://mspartner.microsoft.com/en/au/pages/membership/action-pack-dev-design-software-contents.aspx

more: https://mspartner.microsoft.com/en/au/Pages/Membership/Internal-use-software.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:02 AM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:44 PM
  • manoj,

I'm not aware of programs that give away Visual Studio licenses for free, but I'm not up to speed on every program out there.  If your client wants to transfer one of their Visual Studio licenses to you for your work for them, I'm pretty sure this is covered in the Visual Studio and MSDN licensing white paper (linked under MSDN Licensing help page), though they can only transfer licenses every so often.  I think the links that Don shared above are your best bet for the rules on specific programs outside of plan vanilla MSDN. 

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, November 12, 2012 6:46 PM