none
Do I need a sideloading activation key if I'm running Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue in our sideloaded store app. I'm finding mix ansers on whether I need a side loading activatin key or not. This article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852635.aspx states in section 'Configure PCs for Sideloading Requirements' section4 the we no longer need a sideloading product key.

--------------

For certain Windows Embedded 8 Industry devices, you no longer need a sideloading product key whether the device is domain-joined or a member of a workgroup. In this case, you must:

• Enable the Allow all trusted applications to install Group Policy setting on the device.
    For more information about sideloading on Windows Embedded 8 Industry, see Enterprise guide to installing modern apps on Windows Embedded 8 Industry.

This applies to:

• Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro Update
    • Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise Update

-----------------------

But when I use to 'slmgr / dlv' check the state of the feature it states it's unlicensed.

Do I need a sideloading activation key if I'm running Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro?

Monday, February 8, 2016 11:37 PM

Answers

• A sideloading activation key is not required for Windows Embedded 8,1 Industry. You will need to make a couple of changes in gpedit.msc per the TechNet note to enable sideloading. I used DISM in a Pass 7 synchronous command to sideload an .appx during OS install for a customer.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Joseph Fradley Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:29 AM

All replies

• A sideloading activation key is not required for Windows Embedded 8,1 Industry. You will need to make a couple of changes in gpedit.msc per the TechNet note to enable sideloading. I used DISM in a Pass 7 synchronous command to sideload an .appx during OS install for a customer.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Marked as answer by Joseph Fradley Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:29 AM
  • Sean,

Thanks for the reply. The only thing I can see that's needed to enable it is to enable 'Allow All trusted apps to install', which I have done. Are there any other changes I'm missing?

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. My app appears to sideload fine at first. But after 24~48 hours my app transitions to a faulted state, popping up the "This app can't open" dialog. Once it's in this state I can't repair it, whether uninstalling/reinstalling the same version or making an upgrade and/or reinstalling the certificate.

The only way to recover is to reburn my OS image and then I can install the exact same App and be good for another day or two.

Grasping at straws, it seemed like I had some sort of grace period where I could run a sideloaded app fine. But then it expires.

I didn't have any of these issues when I was using a developers license, but I'm moving towards production and I need the ultimate solution in place.

Do you have idea what might be happening in my case?

Since you answered my original question, I probably should repost a new one with my more specific problem.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:44 AM
  • The customer built their application, and I installed it. Never ran into a time out problem.

The other Group Policy I enabled was: "Allow development of Windows tore apps without installation..."

Here is the command example to sideload the app with DISM:

DISM.exe /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:c:\Setup\myapp.appx /SkipLicense

What version of Visual Studio are you using?

You might want to post in one of the app development forums.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:49 PM
  • I'm using VS 2013.

In Powershell we run, Add-AppxPackage <app>.appxbundle.

I've used Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage before but we anticipate updates and we only have a single user. But I will experiment further with it and see if that might help.

I did post a second question, thanks for the input.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 10:19 AM