none
Elastic database pool and sharding questions RRS feed

• Question

• Can eDTU shared amoung difference SQL azure database instance ?
    If there are 10 databases in a SQL azure database instance, can 5 of the databases use elastic pool and the other 5 use seperate DTU ?

There are 3 options in elastic pool database

Max eDTUs per database
    Min eDTUs per database
    Max storage per database
    in msdn https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-dtu-resource-limits-elastic-pools
    it says these are global setting , so every database in the elastic pool has the same value, for example same  Max eDTUs per database? Or can set differently ?

what's the support sharding key data type ?
    Are there some high level steps to change a normal database to an shard database ?

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Sakurai_db,

Can a eDTU shared among difference SQL azure database instance ?

An eDTU (unit) is allocated to an Azure SQL Database Single Instance or to an Azure SQL Database Elastic Pool. In an Elastic Pool, the 'global settings' apply to each database in the elastic pool. Please review the following information form ore details on what the three of these each imply: Database properties for pooled databases

Elastic Scale supports the following .Net framework types as sharding keys:

• integer
    • long
    • guid
    • byte[]
    • datetime
    • timespan
    • datetimeoffset

Scale out databases with the shard map manager

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Mike

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:07 PM
  • I still get confuse on how to scale out a normal DB to sharded DB

For example  I have 10 tables, and I am going to use table 1 col1 integer for a sharding key.

so only table1 will be shard? or other 9 tables will also be sharded automatically ?

any video to demonstrate from scratch ?

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:16 PM