Future of Dynamic Data ... is there any? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1847166894 posted

YES !!

I am coming back after struggling with many other tools:- LLBLGenpro, AspNetRunner, CodeOnTime, IronSpeed, ASPXForms, Haystack, CodeSmith and the usual plain ASP.Net

After watching Julie Learman's  course about EF6 it seems to me that the route to go, instead of MVC Framework, Angular or even Core ... it really seems that Dynamic Data is so much straight forward and better 

I read a lot Oleg Sych's Unlesahed and also all material from CSharpBits from Mr. Steve Naughton (kind of Dynamic Data bible) and rewatching all GuysFromRolla and 17 initial videos on Dynamic Data

Dynamic Data is by far so much, much, much, much, much .... GOOD !!! than any of the above mentioned .... because its sustainability and freedom for customizing all things inside Dynamic Data. Is quite complex ... YES !!! it is but once you have developed some basic skills, using controls and making customization is every time a lot easier ... even though complex ... but "digestible"

With EF6 it seems we can go (more or less ... in a broad way) you can go back to the DAL's and BLL ASP.Net 2.0 ages ... which was great by the way ... so you have plenty of control on what you are doing and delivering

Best regards to all of you

Carlos

Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:01 AM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

HI Carlos, there are some minor issue with EF6 and greater you have to replace the EntityDataSource for a new one and there is a drawback here as it unwraps the DBContext to get at the underlying ObjectContext and passes all reads and writes through that which means you will have to do the same with the EF6 DB Context if you want to do any business logic processing during the save. and as such removes most of the advantages of using EF6 for me :(

I have spoken to the team when I was still an MVP but have not managed to get the EntityDataSource open sourced so we could fix it our selves.

P.S. is still says I'm an MVP here but I lost it Jan 2017 due to lack of activity on the forums :) i.e. no activity for over a year really as no-one was posting here :)

I am working on some new ideas of bringing DD to AngularJS but that is some time off :)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:57 PM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

HI Carlos, there are some minor issue with EF6 and greater you have to replace the EntityDataSource for a new one and there is a drawback here as it unwraps the DBContext to get at the underlying ObjectContext and passes all reads and writes through that which means you will have to do the same with the EF6 DB Context if you want to do any business logic processing during the save. and as such removes most of the advantages of using EF6 for me :(

I have spoken to the team when I was still an MVP but have not managed to get the EntityDataSource open sourced so we could fix it our selves.

P.S. is still says I'm an MVP here but I lost it Jan 2017 due to lack of activity on the forums :) i.e. no activity for over a year really as no-one was posting here :)

I am working on some new ideas of bringing DD to AngularJS but that is some time off :)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:57 PM
  • User-1847166894 posted

It's quite astonishingly unexpected, surprisingly and unbelievable incredulous to me, that such an amazing way of programming, so rich in many features, simple in its most underlying basic concepts (even though not quite simple in its amazing framework source code), may have been deprecated by MS

Having said that, I will try it again because the richness you have in DD trough the metadata way of defining things, the simplicity which it has for just allowing you modify your model and you can practically restart everything from scratch but maintaining all of you had previously accomplished in your programming ... that's quite fantastic

I just feel that Core, Angular, MVC and many other ways of programming are just too complicated to learn for a programmer 

DD is simple it its own philosophical devices and that's why I kind of love it

I really tried with CodeOnTime but is just that you have to pay so much for having kind of too little for such a price

So, DD is free and pretty much customizable in the way I like it

I think Polita did good creating DD. Oleg Sych did a great job too and Mr. Ebbo ... also Mr. Shoemaker and Mr. Hanselman. 

Special mention to the master guru : Mr. Naughton ... the DD biblicist 

Maybe all of you should restart thinking about the new DD .... DD version 2017 with the whole set of newest controls already available in the Visual Studio UI development interface

Carlos

Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:15 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

I like you feeling and I am trying to get something going in that direction, but Web Forms will not be the medium, as I said before I am working on two new ideas;

1. Bringing DD to AngulasJS
    2. A completely new project type Client Side Web Forms

it will take time but long term client side is the way forward but what Web Forms Developers want is an easy in to Client Side development something that gives them the feeling of developing Web Forms application but having all the advantages of Web Forms with none of the drawbacks, i.e. post back no state etc.

Monday, March 20, 2017 10:16 AM