none
WCE7 vs WCE6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have to decide for my Company if we can porting our product from WCE6 to WCE7.

I have read on Internet that WCE7 has lower performance than WCE6 !! Why ? Is it true ? Using a sample .bin image I have also seen that WCE7 image in bigger then WCE6 image !

What are the advantages to execute porting from WCE6 to WCE7 ?

Best regards,

Paolo.

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:03 AM

All replies

• CE7 supports some new features such as larger than 512MB of memory, the new OEMDeviceTable to avoid conflict mapping which is more important to ARMv7 processors. More flexible cache mode and PTW configurations, SMP supports, async driver interface and etc.
    Performance impact might be addressed in the future updates.
    If those new features make no benefit to you and need a smaller footprint, CE6 can still be a good option.

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:56 PM
  • Saying this "Performance impact might be addressed in the future updates", do you think that actually WCE7 has poor performance versus WCE6 ? If yes, Why ?

Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Regard to performance impact, it still depends on which components are included and the processor you use.
    By all means, latest version usually include more feature and increase the overall footprint but also optimize some codepath so larger size doesn't imply slower performance. For example, you can run OSBench to observe some fundamental OS kernel performance in different version of CE.
    And sometime, a new feature, such as SMP support, could introduce performance regration as the change impact lots of area.
    I think the bottomline is you may want to make some benchmarking for the specific scenario you are interested in along with the features and other consideration to make the estimation. Also, if you found performance regression in specific area, you could contact your MS reprehensive to request a fix.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 9:12 PM
  • I have found this http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/winembplatdev/thread/332e73b0-ff38-4ebb-bfb4-4cd07000e31b

and it seems to be that WCE7 has API performance lower then WCE6 API !

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:03 AM
  • On OMAP3, that seems to be the case. You can't necessarily extend from that to saying that CE6 is faster than CE7. Remember that, unlike on a desktop PC, the hardware isn't basically the same from one device to another. Each processor architecture is different and individual processor chips are different.

The way to approach a conversion to 7 is to evaluate: why would I want to change (new feature, market demand for "the latest", etc.)? If the value of changing is high enough, do a quick port of your BSP and compare some things to identify any obvious problems. If there are problems, evaluate again whether the value of upgrading is greater than the cost of further porting work. If so, dig into the performance bottlenecks and find the root cause of the problem.

So far as I can think, there's no architectural difference between CE6 and CE7 that would explain a significant overall reduction in performance on all devices. There was such a change going from CE5 to CE6, however, so you'll still find CE5 devices floating around.

Paul T.

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:08 PM